At least one Clinton disciple is a winner: Hillary defeats Lazio

Just minutes after the precincts closed in New York, Democrat Hillary Clinton was announced the victor over Republican Congressman Rick Lazio in the race for the state's open U.S. Senate seat. In an unusual and often bitter contest that pitted a First Lady against a young Congressman, Clinton received 56 percent of the vote to Lazio's 44 percent.

While her husband took his place behind her on stage, Clinton — a native of Illinois and long-time resident of Arkansas — said in her acceptance speech that she would work hard for her new home state.

"It all matters, and I just want to say from the bottom of my heart thank you, New York," she said. "I am determined to make a difference for all of you."

Clinton will replace retiring Sen. Daniel Patrick Moynihan (D-N.Y.) who has served the state for about 50 years and stood with Clinton as she honored him for his commitment to the state. With the First Lady's election, Democrats retain both New York's U.S. Senate seats, though Republicans will keep control of the House.

In a stormy race that snagged national attention, Lazio questioned Clinton's ability to successfully represent the state, accusing her of being an outsider who bought a $1.7-million house in Chappaqua, N.Y., just before she announced her candidacy. He also raised doubts about her integrity.

In turn, Clinton attacked Lazio's weak support of women's issues and denounced his connections with right-wing extremists like former Senate Majority Leader Newt Gingrich.

In the end, Clinton benefited from the votes of minorities and women. She also seems to have profited from Vice President Al Gore's popularity in the state. Though one-fifth of Gore voters said they split their votes and supported Lazio, many have speculated that as many as 1 million Gore supporters voters would have had to vote for Lazio for him to pull off a victory in the heavily Democratic state.

Clinton also seems to have benefited from support in rural upstate New York, where she campaigned heavily early in her run, when her Republican opponent was New York City Mayor Rudolph Giuliani. The mayor withdrew from the race when he was diagnosed with prostate cancer in May. And Lazio's late entrance into the race may have hurt his chances.

As he conceded the race, Lazio — surrounded by his wife Patricia, Giuliani, New York Governor George Pataki and supporters chanting his name — echoed Clinton's opinion that New Yorkers need to move on from the race and unite.

"It's time for us to hold our heads up high and unify our state," he said, as Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York" boomed in the background. "It's time for us to stand as New Yorkers together."

Yet when Lazio graciously congratulated his opponent, the audience booed.

Clinton — who first indicated interest in the race for New York's Senate seat while the Senate voted to impeach her husband — often used her position as First Lady to voice her political views. Her victory, however, makes her the first First Lady to be elected to a political position.

Though Clinton will enjoy only limited authority as New York's junior senator, many speculate that she eventually will use her new position as a stepping stone back into the White House — this time as president.