Zimmer leaves no doubt about pro-Israel stance

Former Republican Congressman Dick Zimmer — now a candidate for New Jersey's 12th District congressional seat — stressed the importance of a strong relationship between the United States and Israel and denounced the actions of Palestinian leader Yasser Arafat in a McCosh 50 speech last night.

"[Israeli-American relations] is something I'm deeply involved in, deeply care about and it's certainly timely," Zimmer, a former lecturer at the Wilson School, said in an interview before the speech.

Sam Spector '03 — president of the Princeton Israel Public Affairs Committee, which hosted the event — concurred. "It's a very important issue to people in the state, especially in this point of time," he said. "The point of the peace talks is uncertain at this time, and it's really unclear where the peace process will go from here."

Zimmer, a strong supporter of Israel when he was in office, vocalized his belief that the United States has vital interests in Israel and should take means to ensure these interests are protected.

"Israel is an essential partner in the Middle East. It is the most reliable ally of the U.S. in the region," he said. "The Congress should let it be known that the benefits Arafat has received are something that he can't count on."

Zimmer blamed Arafat for the violent clashes that have erupted in the Gaza Strip during the past few weeks. "Arafat has not prepared his people for an eventual coexistence with the people of Israel," Zimmer said. "This is his responsibility."

He criticized Arafat's refusal to call publicly for a halt in the violence, release of terrorists from prisons and failure to control Palestinian authorities.

Zimmer further questioned whether Arafat and the Palestinians truly are seeking peace and called for the end of diplomatic relations and foreign aid from the United States if the violence continues.

"Arafat is irresponsible and we will not treat him as a responsible or legitimate leader of a foreign state," Zimmer said. "Arafat should not be trusted as a partner for peace."

Though pessimistic, Zimmer was enthusiastic about the recent announcement of a cease-fire. "All the Israelis want is peace. The question is on what conditions, on what circumstances, to preserve the identity and security of Israel," he said.

Zimmer expressed regret over what he perceives as the collapse of the Israeli-Palestinian peace process, despite the cease-fire.

Though delivered to a sparse audience, the address spurred positive but varied feedback from members of PIPAC.

"I didn't expect such a strong position. I thought he would guard his words more carefully that Israel is an important ally for the U.S.," PIPAC secretary Daniel Spector '03 said.

But PIPAC vice president Craig Sarembock '01 said he believed Zimmer could have been more forceful in stating his position on the issue.

Zimmer's challenger for Congress, incumbent Democrat Rush Holt, is scheduled to speak about the same issue — the importance of a strong relationship between the United States and Israel — Monday at 7 p.m. in McCosh 50.