Four years later, Forbes '70 fails to repeat 1996 Delaware primary win

Steve Forbes '70 took third place in the Delaware Republican presidential primary yesterday, despite campaigning hard in the nation's first state. Forbes had hoped to repeat the strong showing that pushed him to victory in Delaware in 1996.

Texas Gov. George W. Bush took first place in the nation's second Republican primary with 51 percent of the vote. Arizona Sen. John McCain, who did not campaign in Delaware, placed second with 25 percent, just ahead of Forbes, who captured 20 percent.

"I think this is a piece of good news that will buoy our supporters," Bush said last night. His campaign worked hard for a convincing victory in Delaware — despite the state's small number of delegates — hoping to show that the governor had not been permanently handicapped by his loss last week in New Hampshire.

McCain did not campaign in Delaware, choosing instead to focus his energies on South Carolina, the site of the next Republican primary. South Carolina has significantly more delegates and has a large population of veterans, among whom McCain is especially popular.

Despite his absence, exit polls in Delaware showed that McCain benefited from publicity sparked by his New Hampshire win.

Forbes, who had hoped to capitalize on McCain's decision not to campaign in Delaware, may now face growing pressure to leave the race as his chances of winning the nomination dwindle. He won the Delaware primary in 1996 against Bob Dole, receiving 33 percent of the vote, but was the only Republican to campaign in Delaware that year, while the other candidates focused on the New Hampshire contest.

Tax reform

Forbes, who has made revamping the tax code a major theme of his campaign, did very well among voters who indicated tax reform as one of their top concerns. Campaigning in a nursing home yesterday, Forbes declared his support for ending inheritance taxes. "You should be allowed to leave this world unmolested by the IRS," he said to applause from the senior citizens in the audience.

The Republican candidates will compete next in South Carolina Feb. 19, followed by Michigan and Arizona Feb. 22. Forbes, who is trailing far behind McCain and Bush in South Carolina, is going straight to Michigan, hoping to gain some ground there.

For McCain, South Carolina is an important test. A strong showing in that state might prove that his win in New Hampshire was not a fluke. A loss to Bush would likely further strengthen the Texas governor's claim to the Republican nomination.

Arizona also may prove important in the contest. Forbes won there in 1996, and Bush, who has been endorsed by Arizona Gov. Jane Hull, is looking for an upset in McCain's home state. The Republican nomination will likely be decided March 7, when more than 10 states hold primaries and caucuses.

(The Associated Press contributed to this report.)