Rapelye, dean of admission for 15 years, steps down

DeanCollege_Janet-wide.png
Photo Courtesy of Princeton University Dean of the College

Janet Rapelye, dean of admission for 15 years, is stepping down from the position to become president of the Consortium on Financing Higher Education on Nov. 1.

“I am honored to take on this leadership role at COFHE to work with the member colleges and universities, which are committed to meeting the full demonstrated financial need of admitted students,” Rapelye said, adding that it was a privilege to serve as dean of admission.

COFHE is made up of 35 highly selective private liberal arts colleges and universities committed to meeting admitted students’ full demonstrated financial need. The organization conducts research on access, affordability, and assessment as they relate to higher education.

Since Rapelye took office in 2003, applications to the University have nearly tripled, and the number of admitted students who are eligible for federal Pell Grants has increased from 7 percent of the Class of 2007 to approximately 23 percent of Class of 2022 admits.

“Janet Rapelye has served with distinction for 15 years as Princeton’s dean of admission,” said President Christopher Eisgruber ’83. “Choosing among the thousands of qualified applicants to Princeton is a nearly impossible task, and she has handled it with skill, sensitivity and integrity. We wish her well as she assumes her new role.” 

Dean of the College Jill Dolan will serve as acting dean of admission while a search committee, which she will chair, begins a national search for Rapelye’s successor. 

“Working with Janet has taught me a great deal about the complexities of the college and university admission process across the country. Her professional acumen, along with her deep knowledge about the high school education process, has helped those of us who work closely with Princeton students to understand where they come from and the skills and talents they bring to campus,” Dolan said.