Barton ’16 awarded Rhodes Scholarship

Nicholas Barton ’16 won a Rhodes Scholarship for graduate study at the University of Oxford, the University announced on Wednesday.

Barton, an astrophysics major, will pursue a M.Sc. in Mathematical Modelling and Scientific Computing and an M.Sc. in Applied Statistics.

“Because I liked nature so much, because I spent so much time outside as a little kid, I was always more drawn to study those things that I liked,” he said. “One of those things was stargazing, and it just really caught my interest.”

A citizen of Bermuda, Barton joins four current and former students who won United States Rhodes Scholarships last month. Thirty-two Americans and 57 individuals from other countries receive the award each year.

Following his studies in the United Kingdom, Barton said he would like to conduct academic research in astrophysics. He identified an interest in applying statistical methods to recently discovered data that has so far received little attention.

Specifically, he noted he would like to examine exoplanets, meaning planets outside of the solar system.

“There are a bunch of new telescopes going up right now that are giving us a bunch of new data that nobody is really looking at yet, so applying these methods to this new and exciting field would be my goal,” he said.

He said that while these statistical methods are widely used in his discipline, University professors never teach them in classes, so he has learned bits and pieces on his own. Barton’s senior thesis also models the distribution of exoplanets in binary star systems.

But he noted that if he wants to continue on, he would benefit from learning the material in a more formal setting.

On campus, Barton serves as a co-chair of the Outdoor Action Leader Trainer Committee. He has developed and taught leadership courses and led leader training trips.

His role has given him explicit knowledge of many different types of leadership, allowing him to draw on tools and techniques that he would not otherwise think of, Barton said.

“I’ve developed a very broad style that can be applied in many situations,” he said.

Barton plays varsity squash and his team named him the most improved player his freshman year. He also contributed as part of the 2013 Ivy League champion team.

He said his student-athlete experience has influenced him mostly by improving his time management. For example, he cited the large time commitment of practice six days per week.

“It’s a really a good support system to have a bunch of your closest friends keeping you accountable throughout the year,” he said. “The team is a bunch of great guys, and I probably wouldn't be able to be where I am today without them.”

With regard to his upcoming Rhodes experience, Barton said that he is most excited about taking what he knows now and exploring the next level of academic culture.

“I really like learning new things, so this is a great opportunity to really focus in on the things I enjoy,” he said. Barton added that while he looks forward to studying, he also sees Oxford as a beautiful place with many appealing events.