News & Notes: Sexual assault task force at Brown advises hiring of professional investigators

The Task Force on Sexual Assault at Brown University advised the administration to hire professional investigators to explore and help resolve student complaints of sexual assault and misconduct on campus in areport that was published inDecember, according to the Providence Journal.

The Task Forceoperates under Title IX of the United States Education Amendments of 1972.

Some of the other recommendations that the task force published include streamlining the University's hearing process, establishing a discretionary fund to help provide resources for both parties involved and improving communication with students coming forward with sexual assault.

The 55-page report published by the task force does not specify what role local law enforcement should play in the issue of sexual assault and the new changes that should take place on Brown’s campus, although it did advocate for the development of a “Memorandum of Understanding” with the police force in Providence as well as the attorney general of Rhode Island.

In the past two years, Brown has had three cases of sexual assault that have received considerable publicity, the last of which included a student who tested positive for GHB, a date-rape drug, after reporting to the University the incident that allegedly occurred at a fraternity party.

Brown is still currently investigating this case.