News & Notes: Columbia Law School postpones exams for students traumatized by racial violence

Columbia Law School has given students the option to postpone exams following the grand jury decisions not to indict police officers involved in the deaths of Michael Brown and Eric Garner, The Wall Street Journal reported.

“For some law students, particularly, though not only, students of color, this chain of events is all the more profound as it threatens to undermine a sense that the law is a fundamental pillar of society designed to protect fairness, due process and equality,” interim dean Robert Scott wrote in an email to students on the eve of Columbia’s exam period.

Students at Columbia can opt to reschedule exams if they feel their performance will be sufficiently impaired due to recent events, Scott noted. This rescheduling is in accordance with the school’s examination policies, which covers issues such as illness, a death in the family or extraordinary circumstances, Scott told The Wall Street Journal.

Scott also said in the email that Columbia arranged for a “trauma specialist” to counsel affected students.

Following the decision at Columbia Law School, minority student groups at Harvard Law School and Georgetown University Law Center have requested that final exams be deferred for students.

Numerous protests were held on Princeton's campus and in the town after grand juries failed to indict police officers who killed unarmed African-Americans Michael Brown and Eric Garner. University President Christopher Eisgruber '83 encouraged the campus community to contribute to the national dialogue surrounding racial violence and to develop further diversity recommendations for the Council of the Princeton University Community's executive council during a public meeting on Monday.