Letter to the Editor: Nov. 23, 2013

I worry that we are all too eager to throw away the tradition of the effigies at the urge ofvarious students.Traditions can evolve, but I worry that we are changing tradition at the expense of what the bonfire actually represents.

The bonfire has changed from an event to inspire pride in our football team and our school to a social event. This shift was evident last year when it was moved from the night before the Dartmouth game to afterward. Though it was moved at the request of the football team, it signified a turning point —a change in the tone of the event from inspirational to reflective. We reflected on the great year we had, not about what was to come for the Tigers. By taking away the effigies, yet another significant characteristic of the bonfire tradition, we run the risk of diminishing its significance. We are in danger of taking an event that is a symbol of Princeton football pride and turning it into a social event that has fewer grounds in history.

We also have to keep in mind that these symbols are mascots —representations of school pride. The burning of “John Harvard” and “Handsome Dan” is all lighthearted jest in the name of school rivalries. Moreover, we must also keep in mind why we have these rivalries in the first place. Dick Kazmaier ’52, Princeton’s only Heisman Trophy winner, speaks to this in a2012 'Prince' article:

These school rivalries would not exist with Yale or Harvard if we did not in some way respect them as peer institutions and as formidable opponents.

Despite the firestorm of opinions, John Harvard will not be making a return at this year’s bonfire and the bulldog has a similar fate. I can only encourage USG and others involved with the bonfire to replace them in the name of tradition.

football enjoy historical

While the Tiger stands defender of the Orange and Black,

Tori Rinker ’16