By the Numbers: Tigers go undefeated at home

A group of women in front of a green backdrop, holding onto banner with words, “Ivy.”
Women’s Swimming and Diving wins 25th title.
Photo courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com.

Editor’s Note: Each week, Sports and Data editors analyze recent athletic competitions to provide analysis and insight on the happenings of Princeton athletics and individual players across the 38 intercollegiate teams at Princeton. Whether they are record-breaking or day-to-day, statistics deliver information in concise ways and help inform fans who might have missed the action. Read the past By the Numbers.

Princeton Tigers Feb. 23–Feb. 29

Thirty-two games and matches were played across 19 sports and 11 U.S. states over the past week, 26 of which were counted in our analysis. The Tigers were undefeated at home this week and won 77 percent of all games. Track and field and swimming and diving meets are counted individually for each day of the competition. These were not included in our win percentage analysis as there is no winner, only winners of individual events. The Tigers won 75 percent of games within the Ivy League and were crowned with Ivy League titles in women’s swimming and diving and men’s track and field.

Nine Straight at Penn State

Women’s lacrosse trailed the No. 22 Penn State Nittany Lions 13–9 with just under 20 minutes left before they blitzed the home team for nine consecutive goals. The Tigers 18–13 victory was highlighted by junior attacker McKenzie Blake’s five goals.

Outshining with Nine

With yet another dominant performance at the Ivy Heptagonal Indoor Track and Field Championships (Heps), men’s track and field captured their ninth straight Ivy title. The Tigers will raise their 25th banner in Jadwin Gymnasium. Princeton placed first in seven individual and two team events. On March 8–9, the Tigers will compete at the NCAA Indoor Championships in Boston, Mass.

Vaulting up the Record Books

Sophomore pole vaulter Tessa Mudd reached new heights at the Ivy League Championships, clearing 4.39 meters to become Ivy League champion and set a brand-new Ivy record. Harvard’s Anastasia Retsa broke this record two weeks ago before Mudd reclaimed it once more for the Tigers to qualify for the NCAA Championship and earn the rank of 13th in the nation. Three other school records were broken during this meet.

Despite this effort and placing first in five events — the same as Penn — the Tigers did not take home a title, coming in second place across the meet.

Four Horsewomen of the Apocalypse

Junior Mena Scatchard, sophomore Maddie Cramer, and first-years Hannah Riggins and Liv Martin flew past the field in the 4x800m relay at Heps, setting an Ivy League record time of 8:40.47. The four Tigers took home first place.

The Mena Machine 

Mena Scatchard’s weekend did not stop with her exceptional anchor of the 4x800m relay — she also set a school record time of 2:43.23 in the 1000m race, smashing the old record by over two seconds. She snagged another Ivy gold medal.

Back to Back Queens of the Pool 

No. 22 women’s swim and dive captured their second straight Ivy title this past week, taking home first in three of their last four years. Not to be beat by men’s track and field, the women’s team also won their 25th Ivy championship.

Brisk Bendtsen Breaks Barrier

It’s a bird, it’s a plane … no, it’s junior Nicholas Bendtsen, who ran the fastest time at an Ivy championship meet since 1983. Bendtsen blazed through the field for a time of 7:54.81 in the men's 3000 meter.

Double Grand Salamis

Women’s softball cleared the bases twice in their 9–7 victory over the College of Charleston Cougars during their trip down to the Palmetto State. Junior outfielder Lauren Sablone and junior utility player Allison Ha each launched dingers in back-to-back innings.

Lucky Number 13

Sophomore forward Caden Pierce continues to show his dominance in the paint, recording his 13th double-double of the season against the Dartmouth Big Green on Saturday. Pierce’s 22 points and 11 boards helped earn the Tigers a 12-point win.

Murphy’s the Law

After recent wins against both Yale and Brown, men’s hockey has a six-game winning streak against Brown and a two-game streak against Yale. Senior captain forward Ian Murphy tailed a hat trick on Friday against the Yale Bulldogs and three assists over the weekend for a total of six points, good enough for ECAC Forward of the Week.

Baker Rink’s Dozen 

Women’s hockey tracks in this week at No. 12 in the nation according to the most recent USCHO poll. They defeated the Dartmouth Big Green last Saturday in the first round of the ECAC tournament and will face off against the No. 3 Clarkson Golden Knights on Friday.

Take Three Bows

In her final game at the historic Hobey Baker Rink, senior forward Sarah Fillier netted a hatty against Dartmouth, securing the Tigers 5–1 drubbing. She caps off her illustrious Princeton career with a performance to remember.

All in all, it was an especially successful week for Tiger athletics, especially at home. Winter sports approach their respective postseasons, and spring sports continue non-conference play. Check back next week to stay updated on all things Princeton athletics, by the numbers.

Remember, as Lou Pinella, former coach of the New York Yankees, once said, “Statistics are a lot like bikinis, they show a lot, but not everything.”

Andrew Bosworth is head Data editor for the ‘Prince.’

Harrison Blank is an assistant Sports editor for the ‘Prince.’

Please send all corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.