By the Numbers: A Week in Princeton Athletics

A group of men and women fencers standing together with two trophies in the middle of the picture.
For the first time since 2017, both the men's and women’s fencing teams won the Ivy League title in the same year.
Photo courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com.

Editor's Note: Each week, Sports and Data editors analyze recent athletic competitions to provide analysis and insight on the happenings of Princeton athletics and individual players across the 38 intercollegiate teams at Princeton. Whether they are record-breaking or day-to-day, statistics deliver information in concise ways and help inform fans who might have missed the action. Read last week’s By the Numbers about indoor track and field success.

Princeton Tigers Feb. 8–Feb. 14: Ivy Titles

Of the 21 games where a winner can be determined, the Tigers won 57 percent of them and 83 percent of games within the Ivy League. This does not include thirteen track and field meets as there is no winner of the meet, only of individual events. These thirty-four games and matches were played across 13 sports and six U.S. states over the past week. 

Eleventh Heaven

The No. 2 men’s squash team, in their very last game at the C floor of Jadwin Gymnasium, reached the summit of the Ivy League for the first time in 11 years. The Tigers took down the first-place Penn Quakers, 5–4, in the final game of Ivy League play to clinch a share of the title.

This title marked the first for the Tigers since 2013 and the 19th for the program overall. Penn, with whom the Tigers share the title, also finished the season 6–1 within the Ivy League. The marks Penn’s fifth title all-time.

“It felt so good seeing all the alums there to support myself and the team and we are honored to be the one to break the losing streak,” junior Ahmed Wael told The Daily Princetonian. “It is a privilege to be one of the nine to play the last match in Jadwin, especially against such a strong team like Penn.”

Ivy League titles in men’s and women’s fencing

Men’s fencing shares the title with Columbia and Harvard, while women’s fencing shares the title with Columbia and Penn. This is the first time since 2017 both the men and women’s teams won the title in the same year. Princeton has achieved this feat seven times, second only in the Ivy League to Columbia’s 12 dual wins.

The women’s fencing team stands atop the Ivy League for the third year in a row after they shared the title with the Columbia Lions and the Harvard Crimson on Sunday in Manhattan. The No. 4 Tigers won five of their six matches on the weekend.

The No. 3 men’s fencing team overcame the Columbia Lions 15-12 in the last match of the men’s competition. Senior epeé Tristan Szapary, junior saber RJ Anglade, and junior foil David Prilutsky all won simultaneously to deliver the Tigers a share of the Ivy title after not reaching the top of the podium since 2017.

Eight is Great and Four Tips of the Hat

Sophomore goalie Lindsey Lucas earned her eighth career Collegiate Water Polo Association Defensive Player of the Week award. Lucas recorded six saves in the No. 9 Tigers’ 18–7 victory over the Villanova Wildcats.

Junior Kayla Yelensky, senior Kaila Carroll, first-year Ally Lury, and sophomore Shanna Davidson all had a trio of goals against the Wildcats, accounting for two-thirds of the Tigers points last Thursday evening.

New Number Two

Women's lacrosse placed second in the 2024 Ivy League Women’s Lacrosse Preseason Poll that was released on Tuesday — the Penn Quakers were unanimously selected for the top spot. The Tigers return their points and goals leaders, senior Kari Buonnano and junior McKenzie Blake, as they have their sights set on competing for an Ivy League Championship in the spring.

Five Times Staying Alive

Men‘s hockey outlasted the St. Lawrence Saints on Saturday in Canton, NY, 5–4 in overtime last Saturday for their record fifth overtime win of the season. Senior forward Adam Robbins netted his third overtime game-winning goal of the season to cement this Tigers’ time as cardiac killers. 

5,290 Seats Filled

Jadwin Gymnasium was sold out for the first time since at least 2010 in their Saturday matchup against Penn. According to attendance records by ESPN, only 22 of the 274 men‘s home games since 2001 were attended by more than 5,000 fans. The highest attendance during this period occurred when the Tigers hosted the No. 4 Kansas Jayhawks in 2001, attended by 6,861 fans. With at least 5,290 fans in attendance, the Tigers tied their season-high 16 three-point shots against Penn.

Lucky Number 13 

On Feb. 10, both the men’s and women’s basketball teams beat Penn. The women’s team sits atop the Ivy League standings as the only squad with an unblemished conference record and has a win streak of 13 games.

Women’s basketball remains nationally ranked at No. 25 for the third week in a row, receiving their highest number of points towards the rankings this past week.

All in all, it was a successful week for Tiger athletics within the Ivy League. As winter sports approach their respective postseasons, and spring sports kick-off, check back next week to stay updated on all things Princeton athletics, by the numbers.

Remember, as Lou Pinella, former coach of the New York Yankees, once said, “Statistics are a lot like bikinis, they show a lot but not everything.”

Andrew Bosworth is head Data editor for the ‘Prince.’

Harrison Blank is an assistant editor for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’

Please send all corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.