Sinfonia transforms Richardson into an opera house with ‘A Night at the Opera’

An aerial view of an orchestra on stage under a spotlight.
Sinfonia Orchestra in Richardson Auditorium.
Natalia Diaz / The Daily Princetonian

Sinfonia’s third concert of the year and first concert of the semester was held in Richardson Auditorium on Feb. 23. The performance was called “A Night at the Opera," alluding to the style of many of the pieces played that evening.

As the lights dimmed, excitement filled the theater anticipating the musical night ahead. The first piece performed was Alexander Borodin’s “Overture to Prince Igor,” an elegant composition beginning with a somber tone. The piece picked up into a lively melody with much dynamic contrast, and ending with a dramatic conclusion. The piece tells the story of Prince Igor’s historic failed campaign against the Polovtsian people in 1185. The orchestra’s polished intonation and musicians’ passion emphasized the story’s events, the challenges of the campaign were highlighted through the contrast between the woodwinds’ slow and soft paced themes, and the strings’ melodies defined tempi.

While staying true to the theme of operatic music, the concert also included Henry Mancini’s “Moon River” from Breakfast at Tiffany’s. They played the classic melody magnificently, evoking an emotional reaction in the audience, and making it my favorite piece performed that night. Before the wistfully bewitching song, Ruth Ochs GS ’18, a Senior Lecturer in the Department of Music and Sinfonia’s conductor, dedicated the program in honor and loving memory of James Li ’27, a University student, who passed away last week

The third piece of the night was the third movement of Piano Concerto in A minor composed by Clara Schumann. “Allegro non troppo” featured the talents of Kasey Shao ’25 on piano. Dressed in a beautiful black and white gown to match the night’s classy opera theme, Shao gave an incredible performance filled with impeccable skill and technique that conveyed a profound emotion to the audience, leaving us mesmerized by her artistry. 

The final pieces of the night fulfilled the promise of the performance’s title, “A Night at the Opera.” Multiple guest musicians joined the orchestra to perform several scenes from Mozart’s “Die Zauberflöte” or, “The Magic Flute.” Theo Wells-Spackman ’25, an associate Podcast editor for the ‘Prince,’ took on the role of Papageno, a bird-catcher who is tasked with helping a prince find his true love while looking for his own. He finds his true love in the form of Papagena, portrayed by Talia Czuchlewski ’26. Amelia Kauffmann ’24, Madeleine Murnick ’26, and Laurence Drayton ’26 sang the roles of the three spirits sent to guide Papageno on his journey. The singers did an exemplary job at recreating the story in the shortened timespan and brought the magical feeling of the opera to the stage. The night concluded with selections from George Bizet’s “Carmen,” featuring renowned recitalist and mezzo-soprano Barbara Rearick’s magnificent vocals. 

The concert was truly a magical experience filled with emotionally-moving melodies and dramatic storylines. The musicians showcased not only their musical mastery, but their ability to connect to the emotional nuances of the composition, creating a transcendent musical experience and transformed Richardson Auditorium into an opera house.

Natalia Diaz is a member of the Class of 2027 and a contributing writer for The Prospect at the ‘Prince.’ She can be reached at nd6595@princeton.edu.