This week in Princeton Athletics

soccer player kicks soccer ball
Sophomore defender Stephen Duncan scored the lone goal for the Tigers as they dropped their second match in a row.
Photo courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com.

It was yet another exciting week in Princeton Athletics. Both our men’s and women’s soccer teams played exciting games, men’s football kicked off their 2023 season, and men’s water polo continued their winning fashion. Women’s field hockey had an up and down weekend, while women’s volleyball got back in the win column. Meanwhile, women’s tennis and golf kicked off their fall campaigns.

Men’s soccer drops second straight match after rough second half against No. 21 New Hampshire

Men’s soccer (1–2 overall, 0–0 Ivy League) had its second straight game against a ranked opponent on Friday evening when they fell 3–1 to the No. 21 New Hampshire Wildcats (4–1–1, 0–0 America East). 

The first goal of the contest came in the 21st minute with a free kick from junior forward Nico Nee that found the head of sophomore defender Stephen Duncan, putting  the Tigers up 1–0 and the Wildcats on upset alert. This was Duncan’s first goal of his collegiate career. 

The Tigers would go into the half with a 1–0 lead. However, the second half would be more fun for the home Wildcats, who found their way back into the match after a 65th minute equalizer from the penalty spot. 

In the next 20 minutes, the Wildcats would strike twice more to complete their comeback and secure the 3–1 win over the Tigers. The Tigers will be playing once again on Tuesday evening when they host St. Johns (4–2–1, 0–1–0 Big East) at 7:00 PM EDT. The game will be aired live on ESPN+.

Women’s volleyball gets back in the win column after up and down week

On Wednesday night, the women’s volleyball team (3–5, 0–0 Ivy League) traveled to Pennsylvania to take on Temple (9–2, 0–0 American League). The Tigers would come back from being down 2–0 to force a fifth set but would drop their fifth straight match after a final set heartbreaker. 

The Tigers were paced by sophomore middle blocker Lucia Scalamandre who led the match in kills, setting her own career high with 19 whilst adding six digs and blocks. First year setter Sydney Draper had 55 assists and 12 digs. 

On Friday evening, the Tigers returned to action. This time, they headed north to Rutgers (8–2, 0–0 Big Ten) to play their Garden State rivals. The Tigers won in a five-set thriller, marking their second straight win over the Scarlet Knights as they wrapped up non-conference play. 

Scalamandre once again led the way for the Tigers with 12 kills. She seems poised to make an appearance on an All-Ivy team come November with her non-conference play. With the Tigers finally back in the win column after five straight losses, it will be interesting to see if this will be the turning point for the young Princeton squad. The Tigers will begin Ivy League play on Friday night when they travel to Philadelphia to take on Penn (2–8, 0–0) inside the Palestra. 

Women’s golf finishes fifth at Princeton invitational 

This past weekend, the Princeton Invitational golf tournament was hosted at the Springdale golf club. While the team finished fifth, the bright spot for the Tigers was junior Victoria Liu. 

After winning the event last season, she tied with two other golfers finishing with  minus 2 in the 54-hole course. The reigning Ivy League player of the year is looking for another incredible season for Princeton. 

The four other Princeton golfers failed to finish in the Top 10, but they did well enough to help the team capture a top-five finish at the tournament. The Tigers posted a team score of 884. This weekend, the team will travel to Lubbock, Texas for the Texas Tech Red Raiders Invitational which will be held at the 18–hole Rawls Course.  

Women’s tennis gets season underway in Virginia 

Women’s tennis opened their 2023 fall season this past Friday at the Wahoo Invitational in Virginia. The highlight for the Tigers was first-year Bella Chhiv.

On the second day of the tournament, Chhiv and her doubles partner, senior Maia Sung, defeated a top-50 opponent duo in the nation from Virginia. Moreover, Chhiv also featured in singles, where she obtained a perfect 3–0 record in the tournament. 

On day three, the Tigers won six out of their nine matches overall. There were many bright spots for Princeton during their first weekend of the young season. Like the women’s volleyball team, the tennis team will also travel to Philadelphia on Friday to take part in the Penn Fall Invitational over the weekend. 

Stay tuned for another exciting week of sports for the Tigers this coming weekend.

Hayk Yengibaryan is an associate editor for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’

Please send corrections to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.