Men’s soccer falls to Dartmouth in Ivy League opener

men's soccer team huddles with arms around each other
The Tigers experienced a tough 2–1 loss to open up their Ivy League season. 
Photo Courtesy of @GoPrincetonTigers.com.

Coming off of an important 3–2 win over the St. John’s Red Storm (4–3–2, 0–1–1 Big East) last week, the Princeton Tigers (2–3–0, 0–1–0 Ivy League) could not maintain their momentum for a win this weekend against the Dartmouth Big Green (3–3–1, 1–0–0 Ivy League). Playing through the rain on Sherrerd Field, the Tigers experienced a tough 2–1 loss to open up their Ivy League season. 

The game started off strong for Princeton, with sophomore forward Daniel Ittycheria racking up his fourth goal of the season only nine minutes into the half. Ittycheria is now leading the team offensively in both points and goals scored this season.

He was assisted by a header from senior forward Ryan Winkler, who had two shots on goal himself throughout the 90 minutes that were both saved by Big Green goalkeeper Costi Christodoulou. 

“Scoring is bittersweet because I’m happy for myself but disappointed that we couldn’t finish the job,” Ittycheria wrote to The Daily Princetonian.

With strong passing and defense from both sides, the Tigers’ 1–0 lead remained unanswered until Big Green forward Douglas Arveskär tied it up in the 27th minute. 

The score remained 1–1 for the rest of the first half, largely due to three huge stops by junior goalkeeper Khamari Hadaway, reflecting his 71 percent save percentage this season.

Going into the second half, the Big Green and the Tigers traded unsuccessful shots on goal, including four shots from Dartmouth and a shot just wide of the Dartmouth goal by junior forward Nico Nee. Yet, in the 69th minute, the Big Green found the back of the net with a header that got past Hadaway to put Dartmouth ahead 2–1. 

With 20 minutes of play time left, Princeton searched for an equalizer to tie the game back up. Ittycheria had another good opportunity to score, but the Dartmouth defense and their keeper held him off. 

“I had another great opportunity in the second half that I gotta score [in the future] to help our team,” Ittycheria said. 

The stormy 90 minutes of regulation closed out with no more goals scored by either side, leaving the Tigers down by one with a final score of 2–1 Dartmouth. 

Looking ahead, Princeton faces off next on the road against the Monmouth Hawks (4–1–3, 1–0–2 Coastal Athletic Association) this Tuesday. 

“Our team’s biggest strengths are when we are able to pass the ball quickly to each other and being able to find our attacking players with space,” Ittycheria said to the ‘Prince’. “If we do that against Monmouth, I know we are going to be successful.”

Ava Seigel is a staff writer for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ Please direct any corrections requests to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.