No. 17 women's lacrosse falls to the No. 10 Maryland Terrapins

WLAX v Maryland
Despite a strong fourth quarter push from the Tigers, they were not able to come back and lost to the Maryland Terrapins 15–11.
Photo Courtesy of @princetonwlax/Twitter.

No. 17 women’s lacrosse (4–4 overall, 1–1 Ivy) took the field in College Park, MD, this Wednesday to face the No. 10 Maryland Terrapins (9–3 overall, 1–0 Big 10). Despite a strong fourth quarter push from the Tigers, they could not overcome Maryland’s early lead and fell to the Terrapins 15–11.

Maryland took the field strong on their home turf, ready to face the Tigers. The Terrapins opened the game with a goal, which was quickly followed by one from Tigers junior midfielder Kari Buonanno after a strong drive down the field. The Terrapins then answered with five more goals in the first quarter, but the Tigers worked to keep pace.

Senior attacker Kate Mulham put another in for Princeton, and less than a minute later, first-year attack Jami MacDonald fired in another incredible shot for the Tigers after a penalty. Junior attacker Grace Tauckus closed the first quarter with another goal for the Tigers, shrinking Princeton’s deficit to two and making the score 6–4.

Maryland dominated the second quarter, sending five unanswered goals into the Princeton net within five minutes, despite a valiant effort from first-year goalie Amelia Hughes. With the score 11–4, Princeton needed to stop the bleeding. Thanks to another goal by MacDonald, the Tigers did just that — but then a Maryland goal found the net to close the half.

The Tigers came out for the second half, ready to play and make many stops on defense. The Tigers opened the third quarter with two more goals, the first of which came from junior attack Ellie Mueller. The second came from sophomore midfielder Nina Montes, who scored a career high six goals in the Tigers’ last game against Cornell. Unfortunately for Princeton, Maryland was able to tie Princeton’s goals in the third quarter with two more for the Terrapins.

The Tigers put up an impressive fight in the fourth quarter. Both Mulham and Buonanno saw another goal each, as well as goals from junior midfielder Samantha DeVito and sophomore attack McKenzie Blake. Despite outscoring the Terrapins 4–1 in the fourth quarter, the Tigers were unable to make up their deficit, ending the game with a loss and a final score of 15–11.

The Tigers will face the Hawks at Saint Joseph’s University next Wednesday, April 5 at 4pm.

Evelyn Walsh is a staff writer for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’

Please direct any corrections requests to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.