Princeton football hosts NFL Pro Day for select athletes

Eight football players showed off their skills in Princeton's first Pro Day since 2019

Courtesy of Twitter/@PrincetonFTBL.

28 of the 32 NFL teams were represented at Princeton’s Pro Day on Tuesday morning.

Courtesy of Twitter/@PrincetonFTBL.

On Tuesday, March 21, the football team hosted its first Pro Day since 2019. The Pro Day featured dozens of scouts with 28 of the 32 NFL teams being represented.

Pro Day gives scouts and teams in the NFL a chance to see talented players up close and in person. It’s the last player-related event that takes place leading up to the NFL draft. This year, the draft is scheduled to take place in Kansas City, Mo. from April 27 to April 29. 

Senior wide receiver Andrei Iosivas was the marquee player that most scouts came to see. Iosivas recently exhibited his talent in the senior bowl and NFL combine. Currently, most mock drafts place Iosivas anywhere from a late third-round pick to somewhere in the fifth round.

Head football coach Bob Surace ’90 had nothing but praise for his senior captain after the event.

“[Iosivas] worked so hard throughout his time of year,” Surace told The Daily Princetonian. “He is going to make whatever team selects him better.”

The captain from Honolulu led the Tigers with 66 receptions, 943 yards, and seven touchdowns. This extraordinary season saw him earn multiple honors, including First Team All-Ivy, Associated Press Second Team All-America, and Senior Bowl Offensive Player of the Week, among many others.

“I think I did really well at both,” Iosivas told the ‘Prince,’ referring to the NFL Combine and Pro Day. “I think I caught the ball well without dropping it fast. I ran fast, and I felt smooth.”

Princeton was scheduled to host a Pro Day on March 12, 2020, but the event was canceled when the Ivy League canceled all athletic events the day prior. In 2021 and 2022, Princeton did not host a Pro Day. 

Along with Iosivas, several other players participated and got to showcase their talents on Tuesday morning. Many of the events featured getting official measurements on the players' verticals, 40-yard dashes, and board jumps. 

Senior wide receiver Dylan Classi, who was a First-Team All-Ivy selection this past season took part in the events. Alongside him, senior offensive lineman Henry Byrd and senior tight end Carson Bobo also got a chance to showcase their talents. Byrd was also a first-team All-Ivy selection and Bobo was Second Team. 

Senior linebacker Matthew Jester and senior defensive lineman Uche Ndukwe were also involved. Jester was a First-Team All-Ivy selection while Ndukwe was named to Honourable Mention All-Ivy and the fourth  team. 

Lastly, defensive back Christian Brown, who graduated in 2021 and now plays for Howard University as a graduate student, also came back and participated in Pro Day. 

“This is a great day for them,” Surace told the ‘Prince.’ “You’re seeing Matt Jester and some of these guys that maybe don’t get a lot of attention, but they are tremendous athletes who can play anywhere.”

Other than Iosivias, none of the players who were featured during Pro Day are expected to be drafted. However, they still took the opportunity to showcase their talents in hopes of getting attention from a team in free agency. 

“Everyone’s been really supportive of me. Everyone’s been sending me good energy at all times,” Iosivias told the ‘Prince.’

Hayk Yengibaryan is an assistant editor for the Sports section at the 'Prince.' 

Please direct any corrections requests to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.