Ivy League cancels all spring athletic events through end of academic year

image.png
Photo Credit: The Ivy League

The Ivy League Presidents announced on March 11 that all Ivy League athletic events through the remainder of the academic year will be cancelled due to further developments in the outbreak of COVID-19.

“In accordance with the guidance of public health and medical professionals, several Ivy League institutions have announced that students will not return to campus after spring break, and classes will be held virtually during the semester. Given this situation, it is not feasible for practice and competition to continue,”  the press release from the Ivy League states.

“Health and well-being is always our top priority. I know this decision was made by the University Presidents with tremendous thought and consideration for the seriousness of the situation. As a former student-athlete who cared passionately about competing for Princeton, I feel for each and every student-athlete across the Ivy League who is impacted by this decision,“ Director of Athletics Mollie Marcoux Samaan ’91 wrote in a statement on behalf of Princeton Athletics. “We are truly heartbroken for the student-athletes, coaches and staff who have proudly represented Princeton not only this year but over their careers, and who will not have the opportunity to do so this season.”

Individual institutions will continue to decide whether or not winter teams and individual athletes who have qualified for postseason games and matches will participate or not.

“Teams and individual student-athletes who have qualified for NCAA or ECAC Championships are preparing to compete in those events as scheduled,“ Assistant Director of Athletics/Communications Chas Dorman wrote in an email to The Daily Princetonian.

“This is absolutely devastating. We’ve been training since the first day of classes in September and just want to test our speed against our competitors,“ senior rower Molly Milligan wrote in a text to the ‘Prince’.

This story is breaking and will be updated as more information becomes available.

Last updated: 9:41 p.m.