Jesse Marsch ’96 deal with Southampton falls apart

Jessie Marsch Sacked.jpg
Marsch pictured during his time with the Austrian side Red Bull Salzburg. 
“FC RB Salzburg versus CSKA Sofia (Testspiel 3. Juli 2019) 06“ by Werner100359/ CC BY-SA 3.0

As of Wednesday morning, talks between Southampton and former Leeds United manager Jesse Marsch ’96 had broken down due to disagreements on the length of his contract. The club was only willing to offer him a short-term contract — Marsch was hoping for a longer one.

Marsch, who was sacked by Leeds United last Monday, was set to take over the West Yorkshire club Tuesday morning when CBS Sports and the Athletic reported that he would be the successor to Nathan Jones at Southampton. 

The Princeton alum helped Leeds United avoid relegation from the Premier League last season, and would have faced a massive uphill battle with Southampton this season as their third manager of the 2022–23 campaign. Southampton currently sits at the bottom of the Premier League with 15 points out of 66 possible. Their former manager, Nathan Jones, lasted only 14 games with the club, and did not secure a single home point. 

Rubén Sellés, assistant manager for Southampton, will continue as caretaker manager for the club on Saturday when the team takes on Chelsea. 

According to The Guardian, Southampton is interested in former Manchester United legend and current D.C. United coach Wayne Rooney, as well as former Everton manager Frank Lampard, to lead the club for the rest of the season. 

Hayk Yengibaryan is an assistant editor for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ Please direct any corrections requests to corrections[at]dailyprincetonian.com.