Football captain Andrei Iosivas receives two exhibition bowl invites

Screen Shot 2022-11-09 at 10.52.56 AM.png
Iosivas recently received invitations to the East-West Shrine Bowl and the Reese’s Senior Bowl.
Photo courtesy of Jared Montano/Princeton Football. 

Within the last week, senior football captain and wide receiver Andrei Iosivas ’23 has received invitations to play at the East-West Shrine Bowl and the Reese’s Senior Bowl.

Coming off of a junior campaign that earned him second-team All-Ivy honors, Iosivas has solidified himself as one of the nation’s best. Iosivas has played a key role in guiding the Tigers (8–0 overall, 5–0 Ivy League) to what is currently an unblemished record. He also leads the Ivy League in receptions, receiving yards, and receiving touchdowns.

Now, Iosivas’ play has garnered him a new level of national recognition. On Nov. 4, Princeton Football announced on Twitter that Iosivas had received an invitation to play at the 2023 East-West Shrine Bowl, an annual event that recruits the best senior football players in the nation to showcase their talent in front of National Football League (NFL) scouts. Notable athletes who have played in the Shrine Bowl include NFL legends like Tom Brady, John Elway, Walter Payton, and Lawrence Taylor.

“I still have a long way to go to be in conversation with those guys, but the invitation is a blessing, and I’m hungry to prove myself against people there,” Iosivas wrote to The Daily Princetonian.

Iosivas is excited to get the exposure against the nation’s top talent, and it is no secret that he is on the NFL’s radar. NFL representatives have been making the trip to Princeton all season to watch Iosivas in action, and they haven’t been disappointed.

Before the season, Pro Football Network projected Iosivas as a late-round pick in the 2023 NFL Draft, but given his play, his stock seems to be on the rise. Iosivas’s recent performance against the Cornell Big Red (4–4, 1–4), where he posted 10 receptions for 155 and two touchdowns, earned him Reese’s Senior Bowl offensive player of the week honors.

On Tuesday, Nov. 8, Jim Nagy, executive director of the Reese’s Senior Bowl, visited the team’s practice and presented Iosivas with an official invitation. Iosivas is the first Tiger since 2016 to earn an invite to this event.

Iosivas and the Tigers will suit up on Nov. 12 to face the Yale Bulldogs (6–2 overall, 4–1 Ivy League) to potentially clinch a share of the 2022 Ivy League title with a win, and improve to 9–0.

“I just let my play speak for itself and hopefully teams take a chance on me,” Iosivas told the ‘Prince.’ “I always have to plan ahead a little bit. But those questions will be more solidified once the season is over. There’s a lot of moving parts so focusing on the game is my biggest concern.”

Diego Uribe is a contributor to the Sports and News sections at the ‘Prince.’ Please direct any corrections requests to corrections@dailyprincetonian.com.