Princeton men’s basketball releases 2022 schedule

FeLgfGDUUAEAVpG.jpg
The Tigers will get the season underway on Nov. 7.
Courtesy of @princetonmbb/Twitter.

Princeton’s men’s basketball team has released their official schedule for the 2022–23 season.

The Tigers will look to keep their momentum going, following an impressive 2021–22 season. Last year, the Tigers won the Ivy League Championship outright. They boasted the best record in their conference, at 23–7 overall and 12–2 in the Ivy.

Princeton was just one basket away from moving onto the NCAA Tournament this past March, when they came up short to Yale in the Ivy Madness final, 66–64.

The Tigers will get the chance to start all over beginning on Monday, Nov. 7 against Hofstra in Jadwin Gymnasium.

The talented squad the team had last year will look a bit different moving forward. The impactful senior leadership from last season is gone, leaving some big shoes to fill.

Key losses for Princeton include Jaelin Llewellyn ’22, who is now playing in his final year of eligibility at Michigan. Llewellyn received All-Ivy First Team honors last year as the starting point guard for the Tigers. Ethan Wright ’22, starting guard and former All-Ivy Second Team honoree, is now playing out his last year of college basketball eligibility at University of Colorado Boulder.

Most notably returning for the Tigers will be senior forward Tosan Evbuomwan, the 2022 Ivy League Player of the Year. Evbuomwan averaged 16 points, seven rebounds, and five assists last season for the Tigers. The 6’8” forward held the second highest number of assists in the Ivy League, with 142 total.  

Senior guard Ryan Langborg will return as well, likely in an increased role. He is coming off of a breakout season off the bench last year. His three-point percentage of 40.5 percent was good for third in the conference.

The Tigers’ first tournament of the year is on Friday, Nov. 11 against Navy in The Veteran’s Classic.

Soon after, Princeton’s men’s basketball team will travel to Evbuomwan’s home country, the United Kingdom, to compete in the first-ever London Basketball Classic. The tournament will begin on Thursday, Nov. 24, when Princeton will take on Army in the Copper Box Arena, a multi-sport venue originally built for the 2012 Summer Olympics.

“Our schedule this year is challenging,” head coach Mitch Henderson ’98 told The Daily Princetonian. “We have terrific local opponents including Monmouth, Delaware, Lafayette, and Hofstra, as well as some incredible experiences for our group in the Veterans Classic at Navy and the London Basketball Classic at the Olympic Stadium in London.” 

“We have always looked to challenge our group in the non-conference so that they are best prepared for the league come 2023, and this year accomplishes that,” Henderson said.

The first matchup with another Ivy League opponent will take place on Saturday, Dec. 31 in Jadwin Gym against Harvard.

Matt Drapkin is an assistant editor for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ He can be reached at mattdrapkin@princeton.edu or on Twitter at @mattdrapkin.