Women's rugby drops contest at Harvard, 102–0

Web_Bable_2022_Brown_xGErT.png
The Tigers have yet to win since being moved up to the varsity level this year.
Courtesy of Shelley M. Szwast/GoPrincetonTigers.

Saturday was a special day in Cambridge, as Ivy League rival Harvard Crimson (3–0) hosted the Princeton Tigers (0–4) in their 40-year anniversary of women’s rugby at Harvard. Despite strong defensive efforts in the second half, the speed and experience of the Crimson pushed them to victory, as the Tigers lost 102–0. 

The Crimson began the scoring early, getting their first try within a minute of the first kick. Throughout the first half, Princeton struggled to defend against the runs of Harvard along the outside wing, resulting in a 12-try, 68-point first half from Harvard.

Despite their impressive offensive efforts, Harvard struggled to convert their extra points. In one instance, first-year number eight Amelia Clarke, one of the three recruited rugby athletes from the class of 2026, managed to block the conversion attempt of Harvard fullback Chloe Headland. 

The Tigers were much better in the second half, holding the Crimson to only six tries and 34 points. Although this was a crushing loss for Princeton, Clarke refuses to let this loss demoralize her. 

“Adjusting to the varsity scene is hard, but we all knew it would be,” she told The Daily Princetonian. 

“We’re getting stronger as a team each day, and we’re all willing to put the work in to get to where we want to be,” she added. “Better today than yesterday.”

The Tigers will try to bounce back against Quinnipiac University on Oct. 8 at West Windsor Fields. 

Brian Mhando is a contributor to the Sports and Podcast sections at the 'Prince.' He can be reached at bm8142@princeton.edu or on Instagram @brianmhando.