Mercer County discloses cause of death of Princeton staff member who died on campus Tuesday

Blossoms in Pyne
Blossoms on one of Pyne Courtyard’s two large magnolia trees.
Mark Dodici / The Daily Princetonian

Content Warning: The following article contains mention of death and suicide. 

University Counseling services are available at 609-258-3141, and the Suicide Prevention Lifeline is available 24/7 at 988. A Crisis Text Line is also available in the United States; text HOME to 741741. Students can contact residential college staff and the Office of Religious Life for other support and resources. For employees, Carebridge counseling services are available 24/7 by calling (800) 437-0911. 

The University staff member who died on campus on Tuesday afternoon died by suicide, the county medical examiner has reported, according to an email from Julie Willmot, Director of Communications for Mercer County, to The Daily Princetonian on Thursday.

Willmot identified the individual as a 31-year-old woman to the Princeton Alumni Weekly. The outlet also reported that the woman was listed on the Princeton Facilities website as a custodial supervisor. (Princeton Alumni Weekly stated it withheld the name of the individual out of respect for family members and because she is not a public figure.)

The University declined to provide any comment on the death when reached by the ‘Prince’ on Thursday.

On Tuesday, the University had said in a TigerAlert that “the death is under investigation and access to Green Hall might be limited.” As of 6 p.m. that night, the Washington Road building that houses the Art & Archeology Department appeared to be fully accessible. The next day, on Wednesday, at least one class held in Green Hall proceeded as planned, according to Spanish and Portuguese lecturer Paloma Moscardó-Vallés.

Katherine Dailey is a Head News Editor who often covers breaking news, politics, and University affairs. She can be reached at kdailey@princeton.edu or on Twitter at @kmdailey7.