Construction delays in Yeh College, NCW may result in temporary housing assignments for half of each college

New College Construction.jpg
Angel Kuo / The Daily Princetonian

On Monday, Aug. 15, the University announced in an email to students in Yeh College and New College West (NCW) that students who were assigned rooms in Kwanza Jones, Jose E. Feliciano, Grousbeck, and Mannion Halls may be assigned temporary housing “before moving to their permanent homes.”

The University confirmed in the email that on Aug. 26, “first-year students should plan to move directly into” Addy, Aliya Kanji, Hariri, and Fu Halls.  In an email to The Daily Princetonian, Deputy University Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss confirmed that any returning students who were approved to arrive early to campus, “will move directly to the four halls listed, beginning 8/22/22.” Hotchkiss said that returning students approved to arrive on campus before Aug. 22  and assigned to those four halls will be assigned to temporary housing. 

Additionally, NCW and Yeh College dining halls and servery “will be operating” by the time the Class of 2026 arrives on campus.

Students currently assigned to live in Kwanza Jones, Jose E. Feliciano, Grousbeck, and Mannion Halls should expect an update from the University about their housing situations by Friday, Aug. 19.

If rooms are not ready for move-in and temporary housing is necessary, first-years will receive their temporary housing assignment by Aug. 19 and returning students will receive their temporary housing assignment by Aug. 26, the email stated.

First-year students in temporary housing would “be assigned rooms in the former First College dorms,” and the Housing Office “will keep roommates and RCA groups together.”

According to the email, any returning students relocated to temporary housing would be assigned to “vacant rooms across campus.” The Housing Office will attempt to keep returning roommates together or near one another.

Students assigned to temporary housing will be provided moving assistance by “professional moving services” once “their permanent rooms are completed.” Additionally, first-year students requiring temporary housing “will also be able to store sealed and labeled boxes until they move to their permanent rooms.” 

"The option to store boxes is for first-year students assigned to temporary alternate rooms…(and their RCA’s) only," Hotchkiss wrote.

Returning students other than RCA’s assigned to the former First College will not be eligible to store boxes.

According to Hotchkiss, students who are assigned to a temporary room will relocate to their permanent housing as soon as “the University confirms completion and readiness” of the new housing. The University expects that the moves will generally occur “by group, by building and floor.” 

The University also announced that “some common spaces” will be incomplete when students “arrive this fall.” Some spaces, including “the ceramics studio in NCW and the performance space in Yeh [College],” are expected to be completed during the fall semester.

Andrew Bosworth ‘26, who is assigned to live in Yeh College “still hold[s] out hope that [he] can move into Yeh on the 26th.”  In an email to the ‘Prince,’ he noted that “moving into First will only make for a fun story in years to come.” 

The University will notify students of any changes to the current housing plan. The email encouraged students to check the Move-In site and the Welcome Back site for further updates and request that specific questions be sent to askhousing@princeton.edu.

This article is breaking and will continue to be updated as more information becomes available.

Madeleine LeBeau is a Staff Writer for the ‘Prince.’ She can be reached at mlebeau@princeton.edu, on Instagram @madeleinelebeau, or on Twitter @MadeleineLeBeau.