Men’s basketball senior forward Drew Friberg to transfer to Belmont

Screen Shot 2022-04-21 at 9.05.25 PM.png
Drew Friberg commits to Belmont. 
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com

On Wednesday, men’s basketball senior forward Drew Friberg announced that he would be transferring to Belmont University to finish out his collegiate basketball career. 

Friberg averaged 9.3 points per game as a senior during the 2021–22 season, and was recognized as an Academic All-Ivy selection. He is known as a highly proficient three-point shooter, finishing this season as second in the Ivy League in three-point field goals made with 75 total. He also finished fifth in the Ivy League in three-point percentage with a mark of 39.7 percent. 

Friberg came up big in the Tigers’ 93–70 victory at Penn on March 5, dropping a season-high 18 points. He also scored 15 points in both of Princeton’s matchups against Brown and put up 17 points in the Tigers’ Feb. 5 game against Columbia. 

“I chose Belmont mainly because of their playing style and success,” Friberg told The Daily Princetonian. “They shoot a lot of 3’s, play unselfishly, and like to play up-tempo. I think it’s a style of play that fits with the things I can do and would be a fun way to play.” 

“I also love Nashville and think it would be a cool place to spend a year,” he continued. 

The Belmont Bruins ended their season with a record of 25–8, placing second in the Ohio Valley regular season standings before losing in the semifinals of the Ohio Valley Tournament to Morehead State. Belmont will be transferring to the Missouri Valley Conference for the 2022–23 season, where they will compete against March Madness regulars like Loyola Chicago. Friberg will not only look to help the Bruins navigate their new conference schedule, but also help Belmont return to the NCAA Tournament next year for the first time since 2019.

“Really I’m just hoping to win. One of my goals is to play in the NCAA Tournament, and Belmont has had a lot of success recently that I hope to build on,” Friberg said. 

Kameron Wolters is a contributor to the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ He can be reached at kw9217@princeton.edu or on Instagram at @kam.wolters.