Men’s basketball guard Ethan Wright to transfer to Colorado

ethan_fdu_header.jpg
Ethan Wright attacks the basket during a win over Farleigh Dickinson in 2021.
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com.

Another men’s basketball senior has announced his transfer to a power-five school.

Shortly after Princeton senior guard Jaelin Llewellyn announced his transfer to Clemson last week, fellow senior guard Ethan Wright announced his transfer to Colorado on social media. Both are playing out their final year of college eligibility in the 2022–23 season.

“While I may be playing somewhere else next year, I know that my teammates, coaches and friends will be in my life forever,” Wright wrote in a comment to The Daily Princetonian.

Wright was sixth in the Ivy League in scoring (14.7 points per game) and fifth in rebounding (6.9 rebounds per game) during his senior season. Additionally, he was sixth in three-point percentage, while also playing the seventh-most minutes of any player in the conference.

“There is no bond like the one we’ve [made] being able to [wear] Princeton across our chest every single day side by side, and I will forever be grateful for all the people that helped me succeed here,“ he added.

Last season had a disappointing end for Wright and the Tigers, with a loss to Yale in the Ivy Madness title followed by a season-ending defeat at Virginia Commonwealth in the first round of the National Invitation Tournament. 

Wright joins a Colorado team that met a similar fate, finishing fourth in the Pac-12 Conference before finding themselves knocked out of the first round of the National Invitation Tournament; in their case, it was the Bonnies of St. Bonaventure that did the deed. 

“I really like coach [Tad} Boyle and his coaching staff. They’ve been there for 12 years, and have built a great culture around Colorado basketball that I want to be a part of,“ Wright said. 

Wright, who has never played in the NCAA Tournament, will look to have the opportunity to compete in March Madness in his final year of college eligibility. The Buffaloes will greatly appreciate his experience and skill, and will likely need it to have a shot at dancing, having qualified for the NCAA Tournament just once since 2016.

“There are a lot of young guys who are really talented, and as someone who’s already played for three years and been in school for four years, I think [I’ll] be able to help lead and support them,“ Wright said. “I also think my abilities will give me a great chance to come in and contribute to what is already a really good team.”

Wilson Conn is a co-head editor for the Sports section at the ‘Prince’ who typically covers football, basketball, and breaking news. He is also a senior writer for the Podcast section. He can be reached at wconn@princeton.edu or on Twitter at @wilson_conn.