Openweight and heavyweight rowing programs dominate in home opener

Women's openweight poses with Class of 1987 Trophy
The women’s openweight crew poses with the Class of 1987 Trophy.
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com

The Shea Center was the site of a proud showing for the Tigers this Saturday, as the men’s heavyweight and women’s openweight crews swept their competitors in their first regattas of the season.

For the heavyweight program, No. 8 Princeton faced off against No. 16 Drexel, No. 21 Georgetown, and No. 18 Temple. As expected, Princeton ended up ahead of the competition, winning the first, second, and third varsity races. The first varsity eight, stroked by junior James Quinlan and coxed by senior Julia Campell, finished the 2,000m race in 5:47.0. This placed them in first, 4.5 seconds ahead of Drexel. The second and third varsity eights also won their races, with times of 5:47.9 and 5:54.3, respectively.

The successful weekend marks a strong start to their spring season, and the heavyweight men’s crew will be contending for the Navy-Princeton Cup this weekend, April 2 on the Severn River at Navy.

In a similarly impressive display, the No. 11 Princeton openweight program overtook the higher-ranked No. 8 Brown and No. 7 Ohio State squads. The first varsity eight finished the 2,000m race in 6:21.3, a full 3.0 seconds ahead of the Bears and 6.3 seconds ahead of the Buckeyes. The second and third varsity eight made for a full three-boat sweep, as they too won their races, with 2.1 and 6.9-second margins, respectively. The first varsity boat featured senior coxswain Isabelle Grosgogeat and junior Lydia Rosen in the stroke seat.

“It was an incredible first start to our season, and it really felt like we came together as a boat after all the challenges we’ve faced in pre-season with covid and injuries,” Rosen said.

This victory signified the openweight crew’s 13th consecutive win over Brown, allowing Princeton to keep the Class of 1987 Trophy.

“It was a very exciting weekend for us; for most members of the team, it was their first race for Princeton,” junior Camille Vandermeer told the ‘Prince.’ “We are happy to have come away with a win, especially against such strong competition. We are looking forward to finding more speed throughout the season and seeing where our training will take us.”

The Tigers will be back Saturday, April 9 to compete for the Class of 1975 Cup against Harvard and Cornell, in Saratoga Springs, N.Y.

Lizzie Evanko is an Associate Sports Editor at the ‘Prince.’ She can be reached at eevanko@princeton.edu.