Men’s track and field sets records on consecutive weekends

Andrei Iosivas Shotput.jpg
Junior heptathlete Andrei Iosivas competes in the shotput, one of seven events in the modern heptathlon.
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com

Two weekends in a row, Princeton track and field has been busy writing the Tigers into the record books.

The men’s team, ranked No. 8 in the nation, strung together a series of strong performances at the Wesley Brown Invitational, on Saturday, Jan. 22 at the Naval Academy. Senior sprinter and jumper Andrei Iosivas set a new school record in the heptathlon with a score of 5,715 points, winning the event and claiming the top spot in national heptathlon rankings. 

Senior sprinter Michael Phillippy surpassed another school record, running 21.31 seconds in the 200m, edging out former record-holder Carrington Akosa ’18 by 0.03 seconds. Sophomore sprinters William Doyle and Andersen Dimon also placed in the top 10, finishing the 400m in 47.46 and 48.0 seconds, respectively. 

The men’s team continued its strong showing at the Sykes and Sabock Challenge, held on Saturday, Jan. 29, in Philadelphia. Sophomore sprinter Daniel Duncan ran 21.26 seconds in the 200 meters, shaving 0.05 seconds off of Phillippy’s previous record of 21.31 seconds. In addition, first-year distance runner Sam Rodman ran 1:48.10 in the 800m, breaking the previous record by 0.11 seconds. 

Junior sprinter Ibrahim Ayorinde tied Duncan’s 60m record of 6.71 seconds. Other notable top 10 individual performances from the Tigers included: Phillippy’s second place all-time performance of 46.73 in the 400m, senior middle-distance runner Sam Ellis’s third all-time performance of 1:48.66 in the 800m, senior distance runner Kevin Berry’s third all-time performance of 7:56.84 in the 3,000m.

Finally, the 4x400m relay team of Phillippy, sophomore middle-distance runner Ladislav Töpfer, Dimon, and Doyle ran 3:12.96 to land fifth in the 4x400m all-time school rankings. 

This Friday, Princeton runners will have a chance to set even more records at the Dr. Sander Invitational Columbia Challenge at the Armory in New York. 

Caroline Ji is a staff writer for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ She can be reached at cj1042@princeton.edu.