Sports Recap: Men's track sets new school records, basketball defeats Dartmouth, MIH defeats Cornell, MVB wins their first game

quincy.jpeg
No.8 Quincy Monday at the match against Columbia on Saturday. 
Courtesy of Tanvi Kishore. 

Men’s Track at Wesley Brown Invitational

This past weekend, two Tigers set school records at the Wesley Brown Invitational. Senior Andrei Iosivas placed first in the heptathlon with a total of 5715 points, besting Duane Hunes’ ’10 5640. Iosivas’ record doesn’t just end within the gates of Princeton. He now holds first place in the country. Senior Michael Phillippy also set a Princeton record in the 200 meters event. He ran 21.31, overcoming the 2018 record of 21.34 set by Carrington Akosa ’18. Princeton will be attending HYPs, hosted by Harvard, on Saturday, Jan. 29.

Women’s Basketball vs. Dartmouth

The women’s basketball team claimed a 78–35 victory over Dartmouth (1–16 overall, 0–5 Ivy League) this past Saturday, scoring more than double the points of the Big Green. The Tigers opened the first half at Jadwin Gymnasium with a 16–0 run, and by halftime, they were leading 45–11. While Dartmouth’s defense prevented the Tigers from scoring as much in the second half, Princeton still outscored them. Senior guard Abby Meyers led the team with 23 points, followed by junior guard Julia Cunningham and sophomore guard Kaitlyn Chen, each with ten. Princeton, who remains undefeated in the league and 13–4 overall, will be taking on the Yale Bulldogs (12–6, 6–1) on Saturday, Jan. 29 in New Haven, Conn.

Men’s Basketball vs. Dartmouth

After a close match against the Big Green on Saturday, Princeton took home a victory, winning 84–80. In the first half, Dartmouth (4–12 overall, 1–4 Ivy League) held a nine-point lead. However, the Tigers’ 9–0 run tied the game 27 all. By the end of the first half, the Big Green and the Tigers were tied 41 all. Both teams continued to take control of the lead throughout the second half, but Princeton held the advantage in the remaining two minutes of the game. Junior guard Ryan Langborg and junior forward Tosan Evbuomwan added 19 points each to the scoreboard. Senior guard Ethan Wright and senior forward Drew Friberg contributed 17 and 11 points, respectively.

The Tigers are now 15–3 overall and 5–0 in the league. Princeton will be hosting the Yale Bulldogs (8–9, 2–1) at Jadwin on Saturday, Jan. 29. 

Women’s Ice Hockey vs. Harvard

The women’s ice hockey team lost to Harvard (14–5 overall, 11–3 Eastern College Athletic Conference) 0–1 this past Saturday night. While the Tigers outshot the Crimson 29–26, Harvard’s only goal in the second period was enough for them to take home the win. Senior goalkeeper Rachel McQuigge had 25 total saves. The Tigers are now 8–8–3 overall and 6–5–1 in conference. Princeton will be hosting Cornell (7–8–1, 5–5–1) at Baker rink on Friday, Jan. 28 to continue conference play.

Men’s Ice Hockey vs. Cornell, Colgate

On Friday evening, the Tigers (4–10–2 overall, 3–5–1 Eastern College Athletic Conference) bested Cornell (13–4–1, 8–2–1) in a 5–4 game in Ithaca, N.Y. Princeton opened the game strong with goals by sophomore forwards Joe Berg and Adam Robbins to give Princeton a 2–0 advantage. The Tigers extended this lead with another goal from junior forward Spencer Kersten in the second period, but Cornell decreased the score gap with a goal of their own. The Big Red opened the third period with another goal, bringing the score to 3–2. Refusing to allow Cornell to take the lead, Kersten found the net once more. With less than 30 seconds remaining in the final period, sophomore forward Ian Murphy scored for the Tigers, ensuring victory despite a last-minute goal from Cornell in the last ten seconds.

Princeton tied 2–2 against Colgate (8–13–2, 3–6–2) on Saturday evening. The Raiders scored early in the first period — just less than three minutes in. Senior forward Luke Keenan tied the game for the Tigers at 11:57 in the opening period. Colgate responded with another goal to take the lead once again in the second period. However, within the two minutes of the final period, junior forward Liam Gorman’s shot found the net, tying the game 2 all. A scoreless shootout between the two teams resulted in a 2–2 draw.

The Tigers will continue conference play against Quinnipiac (18–2–3, 9–1–1) at Baker rink on Wednesday, Jan. 26.

Men’s Volleyball vs. UCSB, Daemen

The men’s volleyball team secured their first victory of the season against University of California, Santa Barbara (2–3 overall) this past Wednesday, winning 3–1 (22–25, 25–18, 31–29, 25–13) on the road. Despite losing the first set, Princeton bounced back with three straight wins to secure the victory. Sophomore outside hitter Ben Harrington led the Tigers with 14 kills and freshman setter Henry Wedbush led with 33 assists.

The team’s victory was short lived, as they were defeated by Daemen (2–1 overall) 2–3 (16–25, 21–25, 25–18, 25–18, 12–15) at Dillon Gymnasium on Sunday afternoon. The Tigers overcame a two-set deficit but were unable to secure a win in the final set. Again, Harrington led Princeton with 15 kills and Wedbush led with 28 assists.

The Tigers are now 1–4 overall. They will be hosting University of California, San Diego (2–1) on Saturday, Jan. 29 at Dillon Gym.

Wrestling vs. Columbia

In their Ivy opener against Columbia, the Tigers declared a 27–12 win. Junior Patrick Glory, ranked No. 1 by NCAA coaches, claimed a 17–2 victory over No. 15 Joe Manchio. No. 8 junior Quincy Monday’s win pushed Princeton ahead to give the Tigers a 11–9 lead. The Tigers would hold onto the lead for the remainder of the match.

Princeton (2–2 overall, 1–0 Eastern Intercollegiate Wrestling Conference) will be competing in another league match against Harvard (1–2, 1–2) on Friday, Jan. 28 in Cambridge, Mass.