Weekend recap: XC competes at nationals, hockey suffers tough weekend

MXC_RECAP_HEADER.jpeg
The men's cross country team poses after being crowned Ivy League Cross Country Champion for the 22nd time in program history.
GoPrincetonTigers.com

XC nationals

On the morning of Saturday, Nov. 20, the men’s cross country team competed in the NCAA XC championships in Tallahassee, Fla. The team came in 23rd out of the 31 competing teams with senior Ed Trippas leading the Tigers in 67th place, with a time of 29:51.1 in the 10K. The women’s team did not qualify as a team, but sophomore Fiona Max competed after receiving an individual bid. She placed 84th out of 250 runners with a time of 20:25.1 in the women’s 6K. 

WIH vs. Colgate, Cornell 

The women’s ice hockey team, ranked No. 9, tied 1–1 against No. 5 Colgate University in overtime play this weekend. Colgate scored the first goal of the game in the second period, but junior forward Maggie Connors tied it up six minutes later. Neither team was able to score for the remainder of the regular period or in overtime. Senior goalie Rachel McQuigge had 47 total saves. 

In their second game of the weekend, the Tigers fell 2–0 to Cornell University. The Big Red scored early in the game, just 30 seconds into the opening period. They scored again with less than a minute left in the first period. The Tigers were able to prevent Cornell from scoring again for the remainder of the game, but they were not able to close the gap. Princeton will be hosting Northeastern University on Friday, Nov. 26 at Hobey Baker Rink. 

MIH vs. St. Lawrence

The men’s hockey team lost 6–4 against St. Lawrence University at Baker Rink on Friday evening. St. Lawrence scored the first two goals in the opening period. Princeton sophomore forwards Nick Seitz and Ian Murphy followed with goals of their own to tie the game. With 20 seconds left in the first period, a goal by senior forward Corey Andonovki gave the Tigers the lead. They gained a two-goal lead in the second period after senior forward Finn Evans scored. St. Lawrence quickly took control of the game with a 4–0 run in the second and third period, claiming victory over the Tigers.

In their next matchup of the weekend, the Tigers fell 8–3 to Clarkson University. At the end of the first period, Clarkson held a one-goal lead over Princeton. By the end of the second period, the Golden Knights had widened the gap to 5–1. Princeton was able to score twice more in the final period, but Clarkson’s eight goals dominated the Tigers. Princeton will be hosting Rochester Institute of Technology on Friday, Nov. 26 at Hobey Baker Rink.

WBB vs. Rhode Island

The women’s basketball team fell 61–53 to the University of Rhode Island this past Saturday. The Tigers started strong with a 9–0 run in the opening quarter. Senior guard Abby Meyers led Princeton with 22 points, a career high. Junior guard Julia Cunningham added nine and sophomore guard Kaitlyn Chen added eight to the scoreboard. Still, despite the Tigers’ efforts, the Rams took the lead and won. Princeton will be on the road against Temple on Tuesday, Nov. 23.

MBB vs. Oregon State

The men’s basketball team won 81–80 against the Oregon State University Beavers this past Sunday. The two teams were evenly matched, entering halftime with Princeton leading only by two points (41–39). Senior guard Ethan Wright led the Tigers in scoring with 24 points. Senior forward Drew Friberg added 17 points for Princeton, followed by senior guard Jaelin Llewellyn and junior forward Tosan Evbuomwan each with 14 points. The team is now 4–1 overall and will be playing Monmouth University on the road on Wednesday, Nov. 24.

Men’s water polo at conference championship

The men’s water polo team claimed the Northeast Water Polo Conference championship title after winning against the No. 19 St. Francis-Brooklyn Terriers. The Terriers led the Tigers by three goals at the start, but Princeton managed to turn the game around and won 9–6. Junior attacker Keller Maloney, first-year driver Vladan Mitrovic, senior utility Mitchell Cooper, senior center Wyatt Benson, and first-year utility Roko Pozaric scored for the Tigers. With their victory, Tigers advanced to the NCAA National Collegiate Men’s Water Polo tournament, where they will play Fordham University in the first round.

Check out this article for more details on Sunday’s game.

FB vs. Penn

For the fourth time in just eight seasons, the Tigers earned the title of Ivy League Champions, sharing it with Dartmouth University. In their season finale against the University of Pennsylvania, Princeton won 34–14 on the Quakers’ home turf. Although Penn held a 7–3 lead in the opening quarter, Princeton quickly shut them down with a 28–0 run in the second quarter. The Tigers ended their season 9–1 overall and 6–1 in the league, their only loss being against Dartmouth, who has also been declared Ivy Champs for the season.

Check out this article for more details on Saturday’s game.

WSOC vs. #8 TCU

On the afternoon of Friday, Nov. 19, the women’s soccer team lost 3–2 against No. 8 Texas Christian University (TCU) in double overtime, ending their run in the NCAA Division I tournament. First-year midfielder Lily Bryant, assisted by sophomore midfielder Aria Nagai, scored the first goal of the game late in the first half. TCU followed with a goal of their own in the second half. Sophomore forward Jen Estes managed to give the Tigers a lead two minutes after the Frogs’ goal, but with less than two minutes left in the regular period, TCU closed the gap. In double overtime, TCU scored the winning goal, defeating the Tigers in a well-matched game. The Tigers ended their season 15–3–1 overall and 6–1 in the Ivy League. 

Check out this article for more details on Friday’s game. 

Julia Nguyen is a staff writer for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ She can be reached at trucn@princeton.edu or on Instagram at @jt.nguyen.