Weekend recap: Women’s soccer advances, basketball teams start strong, XC runners make nationals

_pep talk Natalia Maidique.JPG
The women's soccer team meets in a quick circle before starting the second half of their game against Yale Saturday night. The score was still 0–0 at this point.
Natalia Maidique / The Daily Princetonian

Cross Country at NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regionals

Both the men’s and the women’s cross country teams competed in the NCAA Mid-Atlantic Regional meet this past Friday at Lehigh University.

The men’s team finished first out of 26 teams with four runners finishing in the top 10. Senior Jakob Kintzele led the Tigers, finishing fifth in the 10K course with a time of 30:20.5. Senior Ed Trippas came in sixth (30:23.1), sophomore Matt Farrel in eighth (30:25.1), and sophomore Anthony Monte in 10th (30:28.6). The team automatically qualified for NCAA nationals and will be traveling to Tallahassee, Florida on Saturday, Nov. 20 to compete.

The women’s team finished fourth out of 27 teams, with sophomore Fiona Max finishing in sixth place in the 6K course (20:28.7). While the team did not qualify for NCAA nationals, Max earned an individual spot and will be competing in Tallahassee.

Women’s Soccer vs. Vermont

On Friday evening, the women’s soccer team earned a 2–0 shutout against University of Vermont in their first postseason game. Senior forward Tatum Gee scored twice for the Tigers in the first half, securing a two-goal lead that the Tigers would defend for the remainder of the game. Her first goal was assisted by first-year forward Heather MacNab and sophomore forward Alexis Hiltunen. Gee’s second goal came off a free kick straight into the net just six minutes after her first.

The Tigers will be moving to the second round of the NCAA tournament, playing No. 8 TCU on Nov. 19.

Women’s Basketball vs. Delaware, BU

The women’s basketball team won 76–56 against the University of Delaware Blue Hens on the road. Junior guard Julia Cunningham led in scoring with 26 points for the Tigers. Senior guard Abby Meyers added 16 points to the total, and junior guard Grace Stone added 15. The team was 14–18 in their free throw attempts, 27–53 in field goals, and 8–13 in three-pointers.

In their home opener Sunday afternoon, the Tigers dominated the court with a 69–40 win against Boston University. The team scored 31 points off of turnovers. Again, Cunningham led the team in scoring with 20 points; Meyers followed with 15 and Stone with 13. The team will be on the road against University of Rhode Island on Saturday, Nov. 20.

Mens Basketball vs. South Carolina, Minnesota 

The men’s basketball team notched a 66–62 win against the University of South Carolina on Friday evening at the Asheville Championship. The teams were evenly matched throughout the majority of the game, but the Tigers held out and won by a margin of four points. Senior guard Jaelin Llewellyn led the team in scoring with 16 points, followed by junior guard Ryan Langborg with 13, and junior forward Tosan Evbuomwan with 12. 

On Sunday, the Tigers lost 87–80 in double overtime to the University of Minnesota. Again, Llewellyn led the team in scoring, adding 19 points to the scoreboard. Evbuomwan followed with 16 points of his own and senior guard Ethan Wright with 14. Despite the strong effort from the Tigers, the Gophers held onto the lead and won.

The Tigers will be playing against Marist College at Jadwin Gymnasium on Wednesday, Nov. 17.

Men’s ice hockey vs. LIU

This past weekend, the men’s ice hockey team competed against Long Island University twice, once on the road and once at Hobey Baker Rink. The Tigers secured a 2-1 win in their first match-up of the weekend with the Sharks. Sophomore forward Adam Robbins scored first for Princeton in the second period, and LIU followed with a goal of their own in third. With 1:53 left in the game, senior defender Matt Kellenberger scored the winning goal.

In their second matchup of the weekend, the two teams tied 4-4. Princeton had a two goal lead in the first period thanks to points from junior forward Liam Gorman and sophomore forward Ian Murphy, but LIU came back with four consecutive goals in the second. In the opening ten minutes of the final regular period, freshman defender David Ma and senior forward Corey Andonovski tied the game for the Tigers. Neither team were able to score in the two overtime periods, leading to a tied game to end the night. Princeton will be taking on St. Lawrence at Baker Rink for a conference game on Friday, Nov. 19.

Women’s ice hockey vs. #8 Quinnipiac

The women’s ice hockey team’s four game win streak came to a halt after a 3–1 loss against Quinnipiac University on Friday evening. The game was scoreless for the first and second period. Sophomore forward Annie Kuehl scored the only Princeton goal early in the third period. This goal gave the Tigers a 1–0 advantage, but the Bobcats were quick to close the score gap. They scored twice more in less than 10 minutes and took the game.

Despite the tough loss to start the series, the Tigers played the Bobcats again on Saturday and won 1–0. Junior forward Maggie Connors scored the only goal of the game, giving the Tigers a one point advantage. The team will be on the road against Colgate for another ECAC hockey game on Friday, Nov. 19.

Womens Volleyball vs. Columbia, Cornell 

The women’s volleyball team ended their season on a high note with two 3–0 home wins against Columbia University (25–12, 25–14, 25–14) and Cornell University (25–15, 25–20, 25–22). In their game against the Lions, junior right side hitter Avery Luoma led with 11 kills, senior middle blocker Julia Schner with five blocks, junior setter Lindsey Kelly with 29 assists, and junior libero Cameron Dames with 13 digs and two aces. In the weekend’s second game, which was against Cornell, junior outside hitter Elena Montgomery led with 15 kills, junior middle blocker Olivia Schewe with three blocks, Kelly with 40 assists, and Dames with 18 digs. The team closes out their season with an overall record of 16–6 and 10–4 in the Ivy League, earning second place behind Brown University.

Check out this article for more details on the team’s weekend success.

Mens Soccer vs. Yale

On Saturday evening, the men’s soccer team finished off Ivy League play undefeated with their 1–0 win against Yale University in overtime. Junior midfielder Mateo Godoy, assisted by junior defender/midfielder Ryan Clare and junior forward Daniel Diaz-Bonilla, scored the golden goal within four minutes of the start of overtime. The win marks head coach Jim Barlow ’91’s 200th win in his time as coach at Princeton and the second time in program history that the Tigers have gone undefeated in the Ivy League. As conference champions, Princeton gets an automatic bid to compete in the NCAA Division I tournament in their postseason.

Check out this article for full details of Saturday’s win.

Football vs. Yale

In their last home game of the regular season, the football team won 35–20 against the Yale University Bulldogs. Yale briefly held the lead in the second quarter, but Princeton was quick to close the gap. The Tigers dominated the Bulldogs with two additional touchdowns to secure the win.

Tied with Dartmouth for first place in the league, the last games of the season will determine whether one team will claim the championship title or if the two schools will share it. Princeton will be taking on Penn on Saturday, Nov. 20, and Dartmouth will be playing Brown next.

Along with the Tigers’ earlier victory over Harvard this fall, Saturday’s win means the University will hold the traditional celebratory bonfire on Cannon Green on Nov. 21.

Julia Nguyen is a staff writer for the Sports section at the ‘Prince.’ She can be reached at trucn@princeton.edu or on Instagram at @jt.nguyen.