Princeton to lift international travel restrictions for winter break

Kassam-Remtulla ‘guardedly optimistic’ that travel restrictions due to COVID-19 will continue to be lifted

Louis A. Simpson International building

The Louis A. Simpson Building houses the Davis International Center.

Princeton travel guidelines have been revised with several notable changes, according to an Oct 27 email to all students from Associate Provost for International Affairs and Operations Aly Kassam-Remtulla.

Effective immediately, all personal international travel will continue to require Director of Student Life (DSL) approval – though separate Global Safety & Security (GSS) approval is only required for students traveling to destinations with a Level 4 travel advisory from the U.S. Department of State which is not in the student’s home country.

All other changes must be approved by the student’s DSL or Athletics and all other trips must be registered on Enroll My Trip.

From Dec 6 through Jan 24, all restrictions on personal international travel will be lifted for undergraduate students – including the requirement to register travel on Enroll My Trip. 

In an interview with The Daily Princetonian, Antek Hasiura ‘24, an international student from Poland, said he was unsurprised.

“I was expecting them to let us travel back home,” Hasiura said. “I can’t really imagine them saying that [international students] can’t travel back to our home country, especially for the entire period of winter. I was essentially hoping and sort of expecting this would be the case.”

Graduate students may now travel to locations with a Level 3 travel advisory from the U.S. Department of State without GSS approval – after receiving approval from their department chair, program director, or dean that the trip is “for a critical purpose and is feasible.” Pending approval from department supervisors, graduate students are authorized to travel to destinations subject to a level 1, 2, or 3 travel advisory from the U.S Department of State.

In the email, Kassam-Remtulla specified that it was too early to predict what restrictions will remain in place beyond January 2022, but provided a timeline for when students can expect updates on travel later in the year. 

“[W]e are guardedly optimistic that conditions will allow us to continue gradually lifting the last of our pandemic-specific restrictions,” wrote Kassam-Remtulla in the email announcement. 

The University will issue formalized guidelines for spring semester travel in late November and summer travel in early March. 

Anika Buch is an assistant news editor at the 'Prince' who typically covers topics in medical journalism and on-campus STEM research. She can be reached at ambuch@princeton.edu.

Tess Weinreich is a news and features contributor for the 'Prince.' She can be reached at tw7353@princeton.edu.