Weekend recap: Women’s volleyball sweeps tournament, women’s cross country wins HYP meet

womens-volleyball-lindsey-kelly.jpg
Lindsey Kelly was named to the All-Tournament Team at the Ellis Rowland Memorial Tournament, as was her teammate Elena Montgomery.
Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.com

Women’s volleyball sweeps tournament:  

This past weekend, the women’s volleyball traveled to Colgate University in Hamilton, N.Y., for the Ellis Rowland Memorial Tournament. On Friday, the Tigers played against Cleveland State and Colgate, taking home the win in both games. The win streak was maintained against Hofstra University on Saturday. 

In their game against Cleveland State (3–1), junior outside hitter Elena Montgomery and junior right side hitter Avery Luoma led the team with 13 kills, sophomore libero Krystal Raymundo with 5 aces, junior middle blocker Olivia Schewe and Luoma with 2 blocks, junior setter Lindsey Kelly with 45 assists, and junior libero Cameron Dames with 23 digs. After a loss of 17–25 in the first set, the team bounced back with scores of 25–22, 25–20, and 25–20. 

Following the first win of the day, Princeton had a slow start in their second game. In the first two sets against Colgate, they lost 18–25 in both rounds. Determined to tie the game and make a strong comeback, the Tigers recovered in the third and fourth set (25–19, 25–20). In an intense fifth round, kills by Montgomery and Schewe led the team to a victory of 15–10, securing yet another win for Princeton (3–2). 

In their final matchup of the tournament, the Tigers went undefeated against Hofstra (3–0) with set scores of (25–15, 25–10, 25–23). The team opened strong, starting the game with a 5–0 run in the first set. Princeton held the upper hand in the second set as well, with kills from Montgomery assisting in securing a 2–0 advantage. In the third set, however, Hofstra played hard to tie the set at 10–10. Despite the opposing team’s efforts, an ace by Montgomery followed by a kill secured a win for the Tigers. 

The women’s volleyball team will be playing against Villanova University on the road on Sept. 17 at 12 p.m. 

Cross country competes at Harvard-Yale-Princeton meet: 

On Saturday, the men and women’s cross country teams competed in the annual Harvard-Yale-Princeton (HYP) meet. The women’s team brought home the HYP trophy in the 4800 meters race, scoring a total of 36 points. Harvard earned second place with 37 points, followed by Yale with 49. Princeton had three runners in the top 10: sophomore Fiona Max (16:18.8) in third place overall, first-year Lucca Fulkerson (16:28.3) in fourth, and junior Abigail Loveys (16:35.6) in sixth. The women’s team will be competing away in the Joe Piane Notre Dame Invitational on Friday, Oct. 1. 

The men’s team earned second place overall in the 8000 meters meet, with a total of 37 points — just one point behind Harvard. Yale finished last with a total of 58 points. Princeton had five runners in the top 10: sophomore Joshua Zelek (23:42.5) in fifth place, senior Kevin Berry (23:46.2) in sixth, sophomore Matthew Farrell (23:52.3) in seventh, sophomore Connor Nisbet (24:10.6) in ninth, and first-year Nicholas Bendtsen (24:15.2) in 10th. The men’s team will be competing away in the Paul Short Invitational in Pennsylvania on Saturday, Oct. 2. 

Women’s soccer vs. University of Rhode Island and Hofstra

This past Sunday, Princeton women’s soccer competed against the University of Rhode Island on Sherrerd Field. The Tigers won 2–0, maintaining their undefeated streak (5–0–1). Sophomore forward Alexis Hiltunen scored her first career goal off a play by first-year forward Heather MacNab and senior forward Tatum Gee. Hiltunen’s goal was followed by another from senior forward and midfielder Amy Paternoster. First-year goalkeeper Tyler McCamey had two saves, leading to her first shutout of the season and at Princeton. The team then played against No. 25 Hofstra at Sherrerd Field on Sept. 16, where they lost 0–2.

Men’s soccer pulls out two wins

Princeton men’s soccer defeated Colgate 2–0 on the road this past Sunday, earning their first win of the season. After a slow start in the first half with neither team scoring, senior midfielder Moulay Hamza Kanzi Belghiti found the net, assisted by junior defender and midfielder Ryan Clare early in the second half. Soon after, sophomore defender Francis Akomeah-Sirleaf scored on an offensive rebound, earning his first goal as a Tiger. Senior goalkeeper Jack Roberts had one save, leading to a shutout for the team. On Wednesday, the team pulled out another dominant victory, this time 3–0 against Fairfield University, with goals from Akomeah-Sirleaf, sophomore forward Walker Gillespie, and junior forward Daniel Diaz-Bonilla.