Thursday vaccine clinic now open to all eligible students, with limited doses

Jadwin Gymnasium
Jadwin Gymnasium.
Photo Courtesy of Jon Ort / The Daily Princetonian.

All undergraduate and graduate students eligible under state guidelines are now eligible to receive the one-dose Johnson & Johnson vaccine at Thursday’s vaccine clinic.

The clinic will take place from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. at Jadwin Gymnasium. As of April 19, all individuals ages 16 years or older who live, work, or study in New Jersey are eligible for the COVID-19 vaccine.

Spots were originally offered to international students, with approximately 250 doses allocated by the Princeton Health Department in partnership with University Health Services. Additional students were contacted on Wednesday morning, including those who met the “CDC and NJ DOH eligibility criteria for receiving a COVID-19 vaccine before the general public,” according to the email they received.

“We’ve reached out several times to international students anticipated to leave campus soon and to those with certain medical conditions who have been eligible for several weeks,” Deputy University Spokesperson Michael Hotchkiss told The Daily Princetonian.

“Given that, we have now opened the clinic to all undergraduate and graduate students eligible under state guidelines,” he added. “We want to ensure that all the doses available to students at this clinic through the Princeton Health Department are used.”

Undergraduate and graduate students were informed of their eligibility through a TigerAlert sent at 3:43 p.m. on Wednesday afternoon.

Use of the Johnson & Johnson vaccine was briefly put on pause by federal health agencies after reports emerged of a rare blood clotting disorder in six American women who received it. However, as of April 23, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) have recommended resuming use of the J&J vaccine.

“While we hope to be able to host similar clinics on campus in the future, we continue to encourage all students to secure a COVID-19 vaccine wherever and whenever it is available to them,” Hotchkiss wrote.

University affiliates can visit the New Jersey COVID-19 Information Hub for more information on scheduling appointments at state-run sites and pharmacies.