Michael Sowers '20 drafted into Premier Lacrosse League

sowers.jpeg
Michael Sowers ‘20 scored 121 goals for the Tigers. Courtesy of GoPrincetonTigers.

Princeton’s all-time goals leader in lacrosse has a new professional home. On Monday, Michael Sowers ’20 was selected second overall in the Premier Lacrosse League (PLL) draft by Waterdogs Lacrosse Club.

During his time at Princeton, Sowers registered 121 goals and 302 points (a combination of total goals and assists) and set school records for both, despite only appearing in five games in his last season for the Tigers before it was cancelled due to COVID-19. In his three full seasons, Sowers recorded the three highest single-season scoring totals in school history.

After the Ivy League cancelled the 2020 spring season and declined to extend fifth-year eligibility to spring athletes, Sowers entered the transfer portal and ultimately found himself attending Duke as a student in the graduate business school. In addition to his acceptance to Duke, Sowers was rewarded for his performance with the Division I Player of the Year Award by “Inside Lacrosse.”

At Duke, Sowers scored 29 goals and registered 31 assists in just 13 appearances. This performance has brought him to 4th all-time in NCAA history in both points (362) and assists (212). Sowers and the Blue Devils play their final regular season game against The University of North Carolina on May 2.

“I'm forever grateful for the experience that I had at Princeton, particularly for the entire coaching staff, the support staff, and most importantly, all my teammates that I played with throughout my career. I wouldn't be the person or player that I am today without their mentorship and guidance,” Sowers said after the draft. 

The Waterdogs was an expansion franchise in 2020 and features Zach Currier ’17 on its roster. The team finished 1–4 in league play last year, tied for last in the PLL. The Waterdogs will begin their schedule on June 6, facing the Boston Cannons.