Introducing Intersections: The Daily Princetonian’s arts and culture newsletter

intersections-large.png
Kenny Peng / The Daily Princetonian

Subscribe to Intersections

Today, we launched Intersections, a newsletter run by The Prospect section of The Daily Princetonian, dedicated to delivering arts and culture to your inbox.

Our name is both a pun and a promise. Our section, The Prospect, is in part named for Prospect Avenue, a street which intersects with campus and which many Princetonians have crossed over the years. But, more importantly, Intersections captures the spirit of The Prospect. Our section’s coverage is wide and varied. We publish artistic reviews, delicious recipes, and thoughtful self-reflections. We position ourselves at the nexus of conversations that matter to our readers. We seek those conversations everywhere, from the niche corners of the web to the national stage.

In this newsletter, you’ll hear each week from an editor of The Prospect who will reflect on the pulse of University life and highlight articles from across our coverage we think you should see. We’ll also point out a few performances, talks, and events that we’re particularly excited about and that we think might interest you over the coming weekend.

At The Prospect, we strive to engage our readers in interesting and meaningful conversations. We hope Intersections provides another opportunity for you to take part in our community. If you’re interested in hearing from us again, subscribe to the newsletter here. Check out our recommendations. Share our newsletter with a friend. Write to us at prospect@dailyprincetonian.com with any responses you have to our stories.

We’d love to hear from you and learn how The Prospect intersects with your story.

Paige Allen ’21

Co-Head Editor of The Prospect

peallen@princeton.edu

Subscribe to Intersections

What’s the Conversation

“I fear for my safety.” An anonymous contributor shared how they feel unsafe as a gay student forced to live with their religiously conservative family and how the University has been unable to provide emergency housing to help them. Find their story here

It’s officially pumpkin spice season, at least according to contributing writer Reva Singh ’24. She celebrates with three scrumptious recipes that take pumpkin spice beyond pies (and lattes). Taste her creations here. 

Pumpkin Spice Pancakes.jpg
Reva Singh / The Daily Princetonian

What will football look like in the future? SB Nation’s Jon Bois explores this question in his long-form multimedia speculative fiction narratives (we know, that’s a mouthful!): 17776 and its recent sequel, 20020. Staff writer Molly Cutler ’23 discusses these works and their surprising poignancy, even for those who aren’t sports enthusiasts. Read her review here.

What to Do This Weekend

If you want to get creative, check out Arch & Arrow’s Open Mic Night on Friday, Nov. 13, at 9 p.m. EST. You can perform your own work or just appreciate the vibes with other writers, singers, and artists. RSVP to the event using this form to get the Zoom link.

Arch & Arrow Open Mic
Jessica Lee / Arch & Arrow Literary Collective

If you want to be inspired, check out The Work of Adrienne Kennedy: Inspiration & Influence, a virtual play festival by Round House Theatre in association with McCarter Theatre Center, launching on Saturday, Nov. 14. The festival features four plays (including a world premiere) by one of the most prolific and widely studied — though rarely produced — living playwrights and a series of curated panel discussions featuring playwrights, actors, directors, art and culture critics, and avant-garde artists whose own work and careers have been inspired and influenced by Kennedy’s artistry and example. Students can reserve free tickets here.

If you want to feel empowered, check out t4t: A Trans Studies Symposium, hosted by the English Department. The symposium brings together artists, scholars, and community organizers about the current state of trans studies and movement building, unfurling the legacies of trans organizing, scholarship, art practices, and histories, and considering how we might consider this history as we move forward into a precarious future.

Submit a Love Story

Are you a Princeton University student or alumnus with a story to tell about love? The Prospect wants to hear from you. We define love stories broadly; reflections on your relationship with your parents, the loss of a loved one, a meaningful friendship, or a breakup with a significant other — all qualify as love stories! 

There are two options for submission: Heartstrings are up to 1,700 words, and Lil’ Love Stories are 100–200 words. You can submit anonymously (but you’re not required to!). Submit your story here by Nov. 23 at 11:59 p.m. EST for our first round of submissions or by Dec. 7 at 11:59 p.m. EST for our second round. 

Lillian Chen ’21 is an associate Prospect editor, as well as the founder and curator of the “Heartstrings & Lil' Love” column. If you have any questions, she can be reached at lillianc@princeton.edu.