Mahadevan ’22 will be new USG Vice President

USG Sept. 27, 2020
Caitlin Limestahl /The Daily Princetonian

Ashwin Mahadevan ’22 has been selected by a seven-person Senate committee to serve as the next Undergraduate Student Government (USG) vice president. He was voted into the position at the most recent USG meeting on Sunday, Sept. 27.

“We interviewed a bunch of great candidates, but we found Ashwin’s experience, character, and vision for USG to really be the best fit for the position,” Chief Elections Manager Lehman Montgomery ’22 said during the meeting. “We’re extremely excited to welcome Ashwin as the USG vice president, and we look forward to working with him.”

Mahadevan is a School of Public and International Affairs concentrator earning certificates in South Asian Studies as well as History and the Practice of Diplomacy. He is also a Residential College Adviser (RCA) in Rockefeller College.

“I’m beyond excited to begin serving as USG VP so that I can help advocate on behalf of the student body, and I’m looking forward to advancing all of the great work that USG has already done,” Mahadevan wrote in an email to The Daily Princetonian.

Mahadevan’s appointment comes after former Vice President Andres Larrieu, now class of ’23, announced he was resigning to take a leave of absence.

The Senate also voted in Jason Qu ’21 as class senator, Vian Wagatsuma ’23 as a U-Councilor, and Montgomery as the Student Groups Recognition Committee co-chair.

Also during the meeting, the Senate heard a report from Charles Tennyson and Kim Jackson of the University’s Transportation and Parking Services regarding changes made to campus mobility. This plan was outlined in a USG meeting last semester.

They noted that there will be no transit through Elm Drive, as it will now be designated for bikes and pedestrians. Jackson also announced that though Zagster has gone out of business due to the pandemic, the University has purchased the existing bikes on campus and will be renting them out to students during the semester.

The meeting was held via Zoom at 9:30 p.m. EDT.