Zagster ends bike share services at University

Bikes in front of Wilson College

Photo by Ans Nawaz

Zagster shut down their bike share services in Princeton due to the adverse impact of COVID-19 on the business, according to an email sent to users on June 1. The company disabled rides, terminated all rider accounts, and will remove the bikes and stations in the Princeton community, including those on campus.

The decision comes after Zagster suspended all rentals on March 26 in response to safety concerns amid the pandemic. According to Kim Jackson, the Director of Transportation and Parking, all Zagster bikes and stations will be removed from Princeton by June 12. 

Due to the impacts of COVID-19 on the business, Zagster will not provide any refunds. 

On May 29, University Transportation and Parking Services announced they will provide “alternative mobility solutions to safely meet the needs of students, faculty, and staff on campus in the fall and beyond.”  

Edward Tian ’22, a frequent Zagster user, noted the impact of the cancellation on his daily life at the University. Without a convenient vehicle to use on campus, Tian expects to eat less at far-away dining halls and shop less on Nassau Street.

“Sometimes I had a 9 a.m. ORFE class, and I would wake up at 8:50 a.m. Zagster is a lifesaver for being late to class,” said Tian. “This is one of the most tragic moments in bike share history. Sometimes when I’m going down-campus, I might not go because I’m too lazy.”

Tian is a news contributor to The Daily Princetonian. 

In recent years, electric scooters have become a popular vehicle on campus. Now that bike rentals and shares are canceled, Tian expects the presence and purchase of more scooters. 

The Zagster bike system operates in more than 200 communities around the United States. A Zagster representative did not comment on requests regarding how many services they planned to pull out from the country. 

According to Jackson, the Zagster program in Princeton launched in November 2014 with 10 bikes available strictly for rental through the Princeton Transit Station system. The bike share program launched on in March 2016 and expanded to 12 stations with 90 bikes.