USG appoints Honor Committee clerk, confirms eye health ad-hoc committee

Frist Campus Center, a significant hub of social activity on campus.
Frist Campus Center
Ans Nawaz / The Daily Princetonian

In their last meeting of the semester, the Undergraduate Student Government (USG) appointed Wells Carson ’22 as the next clerk and subsequent chair of the Honor Committee, confirmed the creation of an ad-hoc Committee on Eye Health, and heard committee updates. 

The ad-hoc Committee on Eye Health, proposed by AJ Sibley ’20, will sponsor eye health awareness events similar to their efforts during Mental Health Awareness Month last November. Potential endeavors of this committee may include pursuing blue light blockers for computer clusters. 

USG also voted for Sarah Lee ’22 to replace Betsy Pu ’22 as the chair of the housing ad-hoc committee. Pu stepped down due to “other commitments,” according to incoming USG President Chitra Parikh ’21.

According to the meeting packet, Lee has now served as a student representative on the Undergraduate Housing Advisory Board for two years and was a founding member of the Committee on Student Housing.

“After the release of our [the ad-hoc committee’s] first report, we’ll be moving forward with the goal of bridging communication between Housing and the student body by soliciting feedback and statistically analyzing the Room Draw lists for 2020,” the packet reads.

Camille Moeckel ’20, current chair of the Honor Committee, introduced Carson, the committee’s new clerk, and USG voted him into the position. Carson has been on the committee since his first year and is also a Peer Health Advisor, a member of the Whitman College Council, and a former copy editor for the ‘Prince.’ 

Nico Gregory ’22, University Life Chair, spoke about the review of sexual misconduct on campus, funding for instant HIV testing, and failed efforts to create scooter rules.

Heavyn Jennings ’20, Social Chair, discussed Tuesday’s Dean’s Date celebration with blankets for gear and plenty of free food. Jennings also said she is working on a report from the Fall 2019 Lawnparties survey that will show the student body what their preferences reflected and better communicate how performers are chosen.

Christopher Walton ’21, of the Campus and Community Affairs (CCA), said he wanted to share data about restaurants that give student discounts with the student body. He said that after restaurant week, he realized that students are largely unaware of the roughly 25 restaurants that give discounts. 

Walton also discussed the potential revival of a collaboration with campus dining, cultural groups on campus, and the CCA about increasing the frequency of cultural food nights and the input of campus cultural groups on such dining events.

This was the last meeting before Parikh succeeds Zarnab Virk ’20 as USG President.