Carlos Lozada GS ’97 and David Remnick ’81 elected to Pulitzer Board

David Remnick ’81 and Carlos Lozada GS ’97

Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons

On Thursday, Nov. 7, Columbia University announced Carlos Lozada GS ’97 and David Remnick ’81 as the newest members of the Pulitzer Prize Board. 

The majority of the board — comprised of 19 members — is made up of leading journalists and media executives. The board presides over the selection of winners and finalists of the Pulitzer Prize. 

Lozada has been at The Washington Post for 14 years, where he is an associate editor and nonfiction book critic. Prior to this work at the Post, Lozada was the managing editor of Foreign Policy magazine. 

He won the 2019 Pulitzer Prize for Criticism “[f]or trenchant and searching reviews and essays that joined warm emotion and careful analysis in examining a broad range of books addressing government and the American experience,” according to The Pulitzer Prize website. He was a finalist for the award in 2018. 

Lozada earned his master’s degree from the Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs.

Remnick began his career with The Washington Post in 1982, where he later spent four years as a Moscow correspondent. He joined The New Yorker in 1992.

He became editor of The New Yorker in 1998. Under his tenure, the magazine and its writers have won four Pulitzer Prizes. The 2018 Prize for public service was awarded to The New Yorker and The New York Times for their joint reporting on sexual misconduct allegations against former film producer Harvey Weinstein. 

Remnick was the Class Day speaker in 2013. 

He has said that taking the legendary writing seminar of Ferris Professor of Journalism and famed New Yorker staff writer John McPhee ’53 was one of his favorite classes that he took as a Princeton student. 

Remnick received his B.A. in Comparative Literature.