Princeton women's soccer falls 1–0 as Brown remains unbeaten in Ivy play

givensGPT.jpg
Abby Givens generated Princeton's only shot on goal against Brown. Photo Credit: Beverly Schaefer / goprincetontigers.com

After being the beneficiary of an overtime goal last weekend, Princeton (4–5–2, 1–2 Ivy) was defeated 1–0 by Brown (9–1–1, 3–0 Ivy) in Providence on Saturday thanks to a late goal by Brown’s freshman forward Ava Seelenfreund in its third match in Ivy League play .

This was a game in which Princeton struggled to create much in the way of chances, mustering only one shot on goal in 90 minutes. While the Tigers kept Brown at bay until the late goal by Seelenfreund, the warning signs came early with Brown junior striker Star White flashing a shot wide just thirteen minutes into the action.

Brown went close again just minutes later as a strike by sophomore defender Lauren Hinton forced a good stop from Princeton’s record holding goalkeeper, senior Natalie Grossi. A mere 30 seconds later a chance fell to senior midfielder Abby Carchio which forced a last-ditched block from the Princeton defense. Brown was knocking on the door.

However right before half-time, a chance fell to Princeton freshman defender Madison Curry that required a block from the Brown defense to avert the danger.

The second half started in a similar fashion as the first. Ten minutes into the period Brown’s freshman forward Brittany Raphino forced Grossi into a good stop with a shot from inside the box. Eight minutes later, Raphino came close again, drawing an excellent save from Grossi at point-blank range after a defensive miscommunication. But minutes later came the Tigers’ best chance of the game, with a header from senior forward Abby Givens drawing a strong stop from the Brown goalkeeper. Princeton’s inability to make use of the limited chances it had came back to hurt them as Seelenfreund rose to head an excellent cross from Brown defender Maesyn G’bye into the far corner for the game’s only goal.

Saturday’s loss leaves the Tigers third from bottom in the Ivy league standings. Brown’s third win in Ivy League play puts them at the top of the standings, tied on points with Harvard.

Princeton plays Lehigh at home Tuesday, Oct. 15 before returning to Ivy League play to take on Columbia on Saturday, Oct. 19. After that, Princeton will have only Ivy League games remaining, as the team looks to bounce back from two early conference losses to climb the Ivy standings.