Men's soccer loses to Dartmouth 1–0 in Ivy League opener

msoccer v dartmouth.jpg
Cole Morokhovich, a senior, in Saturday's match against Dartmouth. Photo by Beverly Schaefer / GoPrincetonTigers

Princeton men’s soccer (5–3, 0–1 Ivy League) began Ivy League play this season with a 1–0 loss against Dartmouth (4–3–1, 1–0 Ivy League) this past Saturday. A goal by Dartmouth midfielder Eric Sachleben in the 72nd minute ultimately put an end to Princeton’s four-game winning streak.

Princeton’s freshman forward Walker Gillespie had the first shot of the game 14 minutes in, but it was blocked. Neither team had a shot until the 23rd minute, when Dartmouth’s Kota Sakurai’s bottom center shot was saved by Princeton’s senior goalie Jacob Schachner.

The first half saw three more shots from Princeton and one more shot from Dartmouth, but no goals. Tensions rose with four fouls — two for Princeton, two for Dartmouth — in the last ten minutes of the first half.

The second half of the game began with a shot from Princeton senior midfielder Benjamin Martin in the 52nd minute. The action soon moved to Princeton’s defensive end of the field, however, with two more saves from Schachner in the 56th and 57th minutes.

At 71:31, Dartmouth’s Sachleben scored a goal with assistance from defender Ahria Simons and midfielder Ohad Yahalom. The game ended after three more shots from Princeton and two from Dartmouth. The Tigers out-shot the Big Green 11–7, while Dartmouth out-fouled Princeton 10–9. Two yellow cards were awarded, one to each team.

The game adds to Dartmouth’s home game winning streak, bringing it up to 23 games.

Head soccer coach Jim Barlow remains positive about the game, however. “When you look at the statistics of the game in terms of possession and key passes and things like that we came out on top on a lot of areas …. We thought it was one of our best performances, start to finish, soccer-wise, but we weren’t as sharp in the final third,” he said.

The Tigers are looking forward to what is only their third home game of the year, against the Delaware Blue Hens on Tuesday, Oct. 8. “We know Delaware’s a good team so it’s going to be another tough challenge for us,” said Barlow.