Women's golf wins individual, team championships at Harvard Invitational

walton2.jpg
Photo Caption: Maya Walton, Class of 2020, tees off on Saturday in Florida Photo Credit: GoPrincetonTigers

Last weekend, the women’s golf team traveled to Florida for the Harvard Invitational and carded 880, its best three-round event score in program history. The Tigers’ previous best rounds were the 884 they had at Old Dominion’s Princess Anne Invitational this fall and an 889 at Penn State’s Nittany Lion Invitational in the fall of 2017.

This year marks the second time in three years that Princeton has won the event. Princeton dominated in the event, shooting +16 to win by 11 shots over co-runners-up Penn and Harvard. The field included six of the seven Ivy League teams; Cornell does not have a team.

The Tigers had several noteworthy individual performances, including from sophomore Anabelle Chang and junior Maya Walton, who finished first and second overall and shot -4 and -3, respectively. They were two of four players under par in the tournament. Walton had her first career hole-in-one in Sunday’s round, as well as holing in an eagle in Saturday’s play. Walton commented that even though she did not see the ball go in, she heard shouting from around the green and then realized she had sunk it on the par 3 sixth hole from 137 yards with her 7 iron.

First-year Sophie Siminoff was also a top ten. She finished tied for sixth place, shooting +6 over the three rounds. First-year Emma Zhao was competing as an individual at the tournament, so her score did not count toward Princeton’s team score, but she still had a successful weekend, finishing in the top fifteen, shooting +10. Junior Annie Kong and senior Tiana Lau, the Tigers’ last two players, shot +20 and +23, respectively, to finish 32nd and tied for 35th, respectively.

Princeton has experienced a successful 2018–2019 season thus far, as this Invitational was their third team stroke-play win. The first two came this fall, at the Towson Invitational in September and the Brown Invitational in October. This was Princeton’s second stroke-play tournament of the spring, since the Tigers played at the Valspar Augusta Invitational two weeks ago, against a number of the nation’s best teams.

Up next for the Tigers is the Match Madness event at Fox Hollow in Branchburg, New Jersey, which Princeton hosts. Earlier this season, the Tigers played a match-play tournament at Ball State’s event, in which they beat James Madison and Florida Atlantic and were defeated by St. Leo (Fla.).

Afterward, Princeton will play in the Ivy League Championship at The Ridge at Back Brook in Ringoes, New Jersey. The Tigers will be looking to defend their title and win the Ivy League title again for a three-peat. This win would send Princeton back to the NCAA regionals, in which they have become regulars.