Yale, Stanford among institutions involved in admissions scandal

Video by Sarah W. Hirschfield, Marissa Michaels, and Sarah Pacilio. www.dailyprincetonian.com

FBI agents recently uncovered an extensive college admissions scam, in which wealthy parents paid admissions counselor William “Rick” Singer hefty sums of money to cheat their children’s way into selective colleges.

The scandal allegedly involved dozens of students, parents, and testing officials. Prosecutions are now underway.

Yale and Stanford are among the institutions that accepted applicants whose parents had worked with Singer. As of now, there is no evidence of University involvement.

There were two parts to the scheme. Singer would first boost students’ SAT and ACT scores, either by having an impostor take the exam or by bribing test administrators. He would then fabricate athletic credentials and bribe coaches to designate the students as recruited athletes.

Wealthy parents spent anywhere from $100,000 to $6,500,000 to guarantee admission for their children. They include actresses Felicity Huffman and Lori Loughlin, as well as several CEOs. Payments were made as charitable donations to The Key, the company for which Singer served as the CEO. In total, Singer collected around $25 million.

The charges were announced by U.S. Attorney Andrew Lelling, who added that “the real victims in this case are the hardworking students.”

University spokesperson Ben Chang wrote in an email to The Daily Princetonian that, regarding “the ongoing investigation, we have not been contacted and we are not aware of any connections between the University and the case.”

Students interviewed by The Daily Princetonian claimed they were not shocked when they heard about the scandal.

“Honestly, it’s not surprising,” said Cindy Han ’22. “People already donate all the time, so it’s like, if you can’t afford the donations, you bribe the coach.”

Changxiao Xie ’20 said he eagerly awaited the discourse that the scandal would inspire on the Ivy League meme pages.

“[It’s] unfortunate people like this exist, but I’m excited for all the spicy memes,” he said.