Football edges out Dartmouth 14–9 in undefeated showdown

HorstedDartmouth.jpg
Jesper Horsted led Princeton in receptions in their thrilling win over Dartmouth

The Princeton Tigers (8–0 overall, 5–0 Ivy League) defeated the previously unbeaten Dartmouth Big Green (7–1, 4–1) 14–9 Saturday afternoon at Powers Field. 

Prior to the game, Princeton averaged over 50 points per game and Dartmouth averaged over 35. Contrary to what those statistics predicted, the game turned out to be a low-scoring physical battle.

“It felt like Rocky 1 with two teams just slugging it out,” said Princeton head coach Bob Surace ’90. “We were probably a play better.”

Princeton kicked off to begin the game and Dartmouth immediately marched 75 yards down the field in a 14-play drive capped with a touchdown thrown by their junior quarterback Jared Gerbino to first-year tight end Robbie Mangas. The Big Green alternated quarterbacks during the drive, switching between Gerbino and sophomore Derek Kyler. 

The Tigers answered back with their own 12-play 75-yard drive on their opening possession to even the score. Senior quarterback John Lovett led Princeton down the field before running the ball into the endzone himself. 

After back-to-back scoring drives, both teams’ defenses stiffened up. The Tigers forced a fourth down to close out the quarter. The resulting punt was downed at the Princeton 8 and three plays later, the Dartmouth defense sacked Lovett in the endzone to score a safety.

“When you step on the field in a game like this with a lot of emotion, it’s hard to have everyone [settled] right off the bat. We made our adjustments and then never looked back,” said senior linebacker and captain Tom Johnson.

On the next Princeton drive, the Tigers drove 56 yards to the red zone, but an interception in the end zone left them with no points to show for it. 

When the Tigers got the ball back, they advanced to the Dartmouth 45, but got no further after Lovett fumbled. The Big Green used the good field position to drive down to the Princeton 2, but penalties and tough play forced them to kick a field goal. However, after a botched snap, Dartmouth missed the kick.

Neither team made anything of their following possessions before halftime so Dartmouth maintained the lead 9–7 when the teams headed to their locker rooms.

The defensive struggle continued after halftime with the two teams trading punts. Big Green junior punter Davis Brief pinned the Tigers within the 10 on the fourth series of the half. Then, the Tigers embarked on a 91-yard drive that took nine minutes of the clock. 

Princeton advanced on multiple connections between Lovett and senior wide receiver Jesper Horsted. Horsted made one catch after the ball deflected off the hands of a Dartmouth defender and then secured a one-handed grab later in the drive.

“[Horsted] made some catches and runs after catches that were just amazing. As a coach, I’m really glad that he’s on our side,” said Surace. Horsted led the Tigers’ receiving corps, hauling in nine catches for 88 yards.

On a fourth-and-two from the Dartmouth 31, the Tigers played aggressive. Lovett converted two consecutive fourth downs with his legs and the Tigers reached the red zone. Faced with another fourth down inside the Dartmouth 10, Princeton rejected the short field goal in favor of pressing for a touchdown. However, the Big Green defense stuffed Lovett at the line, forcing a turnover on downs.

Not willing to be stopped, the Tigers took advantage of their field position after a short Dartmouth punt. With a facemask penalty followed by a short pass and run, the Tigers positioned themselves to score. Lovett punched it in again on the ground to make the score 14–9. 

Lovett credited the Tigers’ offensive line with keeping up the momentum.

“We stand by our offensive line. They are the heart and soul of our offense and all of us have confidence in them.”

Lovett threw for 161 yards and added 54 yards on the ground. His two rushing touchdowns increased his career total to 39, surpassing Quinn Epperly ’15 for the second-most career rushing touchdowns for Princeton quarterbacks. 

Dartmouth received the ball with over six minutes in the game and looked to score immediately with a deep pass. The Princeton defense prevented the completion and sacked Kyler two plays later to force a punt.

The Big Green still had one more chance to score, but the ferocious Tiger pass rush did not let up. Dartmouth turned the ball over on downs without achieving a first down. In the second half, the Tiger defense kept the Big Green scoreless and forced them into three-and-outs on the final four Dartmouth possessions.

“We had to play a complete game: offense, defense, and special teams,” said Dartmouth head coach Buddy Teevens. “We needed perfection and we didn’t get it.”

Both teams have two games left, so either could still secure the Ivy crown. Princeton travels to Yale (5–3, 3–2) next week before closing out their season with a home game against Penn (6–2, 3–2). Dartmouth plays their final away game against Cornell (3–5, 2–3) and finishes at home against Brown (1–7, 0–5).

“Every single Ivy League game has the same amount of importance,” said Lovett. “We’re attacking practices the same way that we’ve done the entire year and we’re not going to change that mentality.”

Next year’s Princeton-Dartmouth game will be held at Yankee Stadium to commemorate the 150th anniversary of the first collegiate football game, Princeton-Rutgers in 1869.