CPS wait times heavily reduced to six days

CPS to use 20 minute initial consultation instead of the full hour to bring down appointment wait times

McCosh Health Center

The University’s McCosh Health Center houses Counseling and Psychological Services.

The wait time for initial appointments for Counseling and Psychological Services has been heavily reduced to around six days.

“CPS has changed the way students’ enter into our system so that the wait time for initial appointments is much briefer than before the change,” wrote John Kolligian Jr., executive director of University Health Services, in an email. “Now, students who want to schedule their first appointment with CPS are seen for a 20-minute initial consultation, instead of the full hour initial intake that we utilized in our previous system. Because these initial consultations are shorter, we can offer many more of them, allowing students to get into CPS much more quickly.”

The average wait time for appointments used to be one to two weeks, with some students experiencing up to three-week wait times. The shortening of the initial consultation allows more students to be seen at a faster rate.

“The wait time may be more or less depending on the time of year or the student's schedule,” Kolligian wrote. “Students can schedule Initial Consultations online through myUHS, or by calling our front desk.”

Kolligian also emphasized that urgent care services are readily available for students who have a need to see a counselor the same day.

Wait time for appointment is a primary concern among students when it comes to mental health on campus, and was discussed at the 3rd Annual Ivy League Mental Health Conference held on campus last weekend. This change is part of a concerted effort across the Ivy League, as Harvard recently had its own initial appointment wait times reduced to 48 business hours.

The next available initial appointments can be seen on myUHS.  As of March 8, the next available initial consultation is March 13.