USG discusses Honor Committee diversity, restaurant week

The Undergraduate Student Government discussed upcoming plans for a “restaurant week all year,” considered diversity on the Honor Committee, and confirmed new members, along with other issues in its weekly meeting Oct. 22.

In a new initiative, USG Senator Soraya Morales Nuñez ’18, Campus and Community Affairs Chair Christine Jeong ’19, and USG President Myesha Jemison ’18 are working to expand the annual restaurant week’s promotions and discounts into a more frequently available deal. The three are also interested in expanding access and potential discounts to grocery stores for independent students.

Jeong explained that restaurant week is an annual opportunity for students to experience Princeton-area restaurants.

Jemison said that the hope for the year-long plan is to model similar plans from other campuses, like Cornell University, but with a different focus.

“Our focus would be on grocery stores because we want to address a lot of independent student concerns,” said Jemison. “In [view] of this, we want to publicize what a lot of restaurants are doing,” she added. For example, Jemison explained, Olives offers student discounts, but many students aren't aware of this.

Restaurant week this year will take place Jan. 8–15, and the committee is actively looking to recruit more dessert and coffee shops, according to Jeong.

Jeong also presented a nominee to the Campus and Community Affairs Committee, who was confirmed.

University Student Life Chair Tania Bore ’20 discussed updating the University Student Life Committee charter, which she believes the committee hasn’t been following for a while.

“We’re looking to bridge the gap between what’s best functioning for the current community, what has worked in the past two years, and what’s actually written down on paper,” Bore said.

Bore said that the committee has also recently reached out to various student organizations, like the Muslim Students Association and the Performing Arts Council. Regarding PAC, the USLC discussed the availability of dance studio spaces, which still needs to be improved upon, despite the opening of the Lewis Arts complex.

“The Lewis Center’s opened, it has three new studios, but, unfortunately, [performers] are not allowed to have access to the studios because the Lewis Center wants more time settling in,” Bore said.

The USLC will also be meeting with Facilities to discuss the option of having free menstrual products available to students. USG has previously piloted a program of offering free menstrual products in all bathrooms in Frist Campus Center.

Pooja Patel ’18, U-Councilor chair and project leader for the ancillary team, discussed possible recommendations to increase diversity recruitment, especially with respect to STEM majors, for the Honor Committee. USG members talked about reaching out to STEM organizations, asking preceptors and professors of STEM classes for recommendations of potential members, and requiring diversity and equity training for members of the Honor Committee.

Academics Committee Chair Patrick Flanigan ’18 recommended that the USG  also consider diversity and equity training for the larger USG group, noting that the training is usually tailored for the specific group or organization.

“For the Honor Committee, it’s being in a position of power,” Flanagan said.

In addition to the nominee for the Campus and Community Affairs Committee, the University Student Life Committee presented four nominees, and the Mental Health Initiative presented three nominees, all of whom were confirmed.

The next USG meeting will take place on Nov. 12 at 7:30 p.m. There will be no meeting Nov. 5, the first Sunday after fall break.