Women's lacrosse tops Yale 17-9, remains undefeated in the Ivy League

PU WLAX vs. Penn State
Princeton University women's lacrosse vs. Penn State, Princeton, NJ, March 21, 2017.

Princeton women’s lacrosse was in Ivy League action against Yale last weekend, beating the Bulldogs 17-9. The Tigers remain unbeaten in Ivy League play and have only lost two games so far this season, currently holding a 10-2 record overall.

The game started as a back-and-forth event, Princeton only managing to take the lead from a goal by senior midfielder Anna Doherty off a pass from junior Colby Chanenchuk. The junior had a total of three assists in the game and currently leads the team in assists with 27 overall. The performance was a display of the depth the Tigers have in their team, with eight different players scoring.

Princeton welcomed back sophomore Allie Rogers from her injury that had caused her to miss five games. Rogers came back strong, adding a goal to the tally. Sophomore midfielder Kathryn Hallett scored another hat trick, taking her goal total to 17 so far this season. Sophomore midfielder Elizabeth George also found the back of the net twice for Princeton as the Tigers began to draw away from the Bulldogs. At the half, Princeton led comfortably at 12-5.

However, Yale did not make the second half easy for the Tigers. Senior second team All-Ivy player Tess McEvoy started a three-goal run for the Bulldogs. But the Tigers responded well, as Doherty, senior midfielder Olivia Hompe and juniors Ellie McNulty and Kennedy Krauss scored four straight goals to widen the gap between the teams. This was Krauss’ first career goal for the Tigers.

The goal by Olivia Hompe takes her total to 47, now level with what Hompe ended on last season. She leads the goal standings for the Ivy League conference, five in front of second place, Harvard’s Marisa Romeo. The senior attacker is third in NCAA standings of goals per game, averaging 3.82, and earned the fourth Ivy League Offensive Player of the Week honor of her career.

Senior goalkeeper Ellie DeGarmo also earned Ivy League Defensive Player of the Week last week for her display against Harvard. Making a total of ten saves against Yale, DeGarmo leads the Ivy League in number of saves and save percentage.

The Tigers, ranked at No. 6, will continue their stint of away games on Wednesday against No. 10 Penn. This will prove a tough challenge, as Princeton lost to the Quakers last year. However, the Tigers have momentum and are playing with confidence this season, as they look to maintain their perfect record in Ivy League play. Game time is 7 p.m.