Trick-or-Feed to raise money for charity on Princetoween

The Interclub Council and Community Service Interclub Council will host Trick-or-Feed on Oct. 29 to raise money and non-perishables for the Trenton Area Soup Kitchen, ICC president Jean-Carlos Arenas ’16 said.

In order to gain access to an eating club other than one’s own, students will need a Trick-or-Feed sticker on their PUID in addition to the club’s usual entry requirements, Arenas said.Students can get stickers from tables at Frist Campus Center or outside Bendheim Center for Finance, where the donations will be collected.

Although the donations are optional, students are strongly encouraged to donate money, non-perishable food items or hygienic products to this cause, Arenas explained.

Arenas is a former chief copy editor for The Daily Princetonian.

The ICC reached the decision to organize the food drive in collaboration with the CSICC as part of a larger effort to give back to the community, CSICC co-chair Cason Crane ’17 explained.

“We are always looking for new and creative ways to integrate service into our daily lives at Princeton,” he said.

The councils decided that Oct. 29 would be the best night for the charity drive since all of the eating clubs will be open for Princetoween, providing a rare opportunity for a coordinated inter-club donation effort, Arenas said.

“This enables us to create a university-wide engagement event that will bring together a large portion of the Princeton community and do something for a great local cause,” he explained.

Arenas noted that the ICC had originally planned to make the donation a mandatory requirement for accessing the clubs on Princetoween night, but club members would have been able to gain access to their own club withoutproviding the five-dollar donation or non-perishable items. However, upon further review, the ICC and CSICC decided that the donations would be made optional to all students, he added.

“We decided that the spirit of the event would be better served by an optional donation of any amount,” Arenas said. “Our goal for this event is for Princeton to engage in a campus wide effort to make a significant impact on a local charity. We thought that an optional donation was the best way to achieve that.”

Katie Moreas ’19 said that she thinks the event is a great way to raise a lot of money.

Vincent Xia ’18 said that he thinks the idea of collecting donations is great, and that the ICC should be able to raise a lot of money because Princetoween is one of the most popular nights of the year.

Crane said that thus far, the decision to implement Trick-or-Feed has met a considerable degree of support.

“Princeton is a university where there is a strong emphasis on serving and helping others, and we expect that members of the community will see this as another great opportunity to give back in their everyday lives at Princeton,” Crane said.

Clarification: This article has been updated to clarify that club members would not have been required to make a donation to access their own club in the original Trick-or-Feed plan.