Dolan named Dean of the College

Jill Dolan will be the next Dean of the College, the University announcedon Tuesday.

The appointment follows a semester-long search.

Dolan is an English professor and the director of the Program in Gender and Sexuality Studies. Since joining the faculty in 2008, Dolan has also served as a theater professor in the Lewis Center for the Arts, a member of the Priorities Committee, a member of the search committee to find the next Vice President for Campus Life and a board member of the Center for Jewish Life.

Dolan is also well known for her theater blog, "The Feminist Spectator," and previously served as a theater professor at the University of Texas at Austin, as well as at the University of Wisconsin at Madison and the City University of New York.

Dolan did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Dolan will take office on July 1, after the departure of Dean of the College Valerie Smith, who announced in February that she would become the president of Swarthmore College.The University subsequently formed a panel consisting of students and faculty to evaluate candidates to fill the position. At a town hall organized by the panel to solicit student input, only one attendee was present.

The Dean of the College oversees a number of functions, including academic advising, residential colleges, undergraduate admissions and financial aid, as well as grading policies. As Dean of the College, Smith oversaw the committee that recommended the end of grade deflation