Student Cultural Groups: French Society

The French Society is one of the newest student groups to be formed at Princeton. Its mission: to cultivate passion for all things French in the student body, from casual “Amélie”viewers to native speakers alike.

“The French Society is actually quite new. It was created in very early December [of 2014],” co-president Walid Marfouk '17 said. “It was initially a project that Ruben, Quentin and I had for quite some time. We finally got around to it last semester.”

Even though the club has only existed for three months, its membership is already substantial and growing.

“There are about 56 members in the club,” Marfouk said. “Each of the members have some kind of relationship with French culture but mainly a general interest in French culture from a lot of people.”

Although most of the members have been exposed to French, knowledge of the language is not a requirement to join. “Not all the people in the French society are actually French. There are not many French people at Princeton, so maybe [there are] 12 to 15 actual French people in the Society and everyone else is a francophone,” Marfouk said.

According to Marfouk, the Society is working on many projects for this spring, having already kicked off the semester with a group trip to New York City.

“We recently went to the Met Opera to see ‘La Bohème.’ We have organized dinner debates in the Rocky-Mathey Common Room. We are working with graduate students to show a French movie in Rocky Theater once a week," Marfouk said.

On Wednesday, Feb. 18, the French Society will host an event to introduce the club to Princeton and increase awareness of the club.

“We are also organizing a discussion with the former French minister of culture on Tuesday. We are trying to get interesting speakers, and as many off-campus events as possible,” Marfouk added.

The French Society will certainly be a bright, new presence to the vibrant student cultural group community on campus.The club encourages students who have a love for French culture to join, regardless of French language experience. “The society is open to anyone with interest in France and French culture,” Marfouk said.