Two people hit by car on Washington Road

Two pedestrians were struck by a car on Washington Road on Saturday, according to a press release from the Princeton Police Department.

At 3:03 p.m., Richard Regan, 54, and his 8-year-old son — both residents of West Windsor — were standing on the shoulder of the roadway south of Carnegie Lake Bridge and were attempting to cross the road. A Honda Accord stopped to let the two cross, but a Jeep drove around the Honda on the right and struck both pedestrians, according to a report by the Times of Trenton.

The person operating the vehicle was Matthew Benjamin, a 28-year-old resident of Dayton, N.J.

Both pedestrians suffered serious injuries and were taken to the Capital Health Regional Medical Center in Trenton, according to Planet Princeton.The father is currently being treated at the Capital Health Regional Medical Center, while the son is being treated at Robert Wood Johnson Hospital in New Brunswick, according to the Times of Trenton.

The injuries are not life-threatening.

Representatives from the Princeton Police Department and the Mercer County Prosecutor's Office were both unavailable for comment on Sunday.

University spokesperson Martin Mbugua confirmed that the case was being handled entirely by the PPD.

The Jeep sustained front-end damage and was towed from the scene, according to the press release. After the accident, Washington Road was closed between Faculty Road and Route 1 for three hours and reopened around 6 p.m.

The accident is still under investigation and no charges have been filed, according to the press release.